Network user login without network connection.

Reaction score
I recently installed OS X Lion Server for home use and created several network users. My family has several Macs and I wanted to be able to manage users accounts and parental controls from my server.

If I we always login using our network account when we are at home, what happens when we are on the road and we want to login to our Macbook with not connectivity to the server?

I know with Windows your network user information is saved locally on the machine so that you could login when you have no network connectivity, is this possible to setup in OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Since Lion server still uses the same old Workgroup Manager and since the Lion server documentation references the SL manuals I would assume this to be true,..

"Mobile accounts also cache authentication information and managed preferences. A user’s authentication information is maintained on the directory server but is cached on the local computer. With cached authentication information, a user can log in using the same user name and password, even if he or she is not connected to the network."

Taken from here,..

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/UserMgmt_v10.6.pdf

So make sure you configure them as mobile users.

Reaction score
yes, creating a mobile account will allow the user to log in when they are away from the server, using their cached credentials. One downfall is if the user has a countdown on how many days before their password expires, you won't be able to utilize this feature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.