boot from disc problems

Reaction score
I have a mac mini running panther 10.4. It wont boot from the "install disc". I get to the white screen with apple symbol. then the symbol turns into a circle with a line through it and freezes up. Boots fine from the hard disc. Any ideas? really want to format the drive and start clean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Did this install disc come with the computer when new, or are you referring to an after market disc? Panther is O X.3 and Tiger is OS X.4. If the disc is silver grey then it will NEVER install as it is a model specific disc.

OP
J
Reaction score
As far as I know the discs came with the mini when purchased. I purchased it used from a 3rd party. Discs are a 3 disc set. Blak face with a grey X says panther 10.3. But the Mac says 10.4 panther

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OS X 10.4 is not Panther, it's Tiger. If your disks are indeed 10.3 Panther, that's why they won't work to boot the Mini if the Mini originally came with Tiger installed.

OP
J
Reaction score
So I need to find a copy of tiger to try? Next question is can I purchase lion and install it directly from tiger? Or is there a specific way I would have to upgrade? Sorry I'm new to Mac. Always has a windows computer and tryin to figure this out as I go. Somewhere told me I had to go from current, to leopard to lion. Which is honestly more than im willing to do lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.