Drive sharing between Win 7 and 10.5.8

Reaction score
Ok, im new to the mac world other than my iphone so excuse me if I sound dumb. I have a dell running win 7 with an external drive with a wired into my router and a G5 with 10.5.8 connected wirelessly. I am trying to share the drive connected to my dell with mac. When I open up my computer > network on the dell I can see the mac but I cant see the dell from the mac.

Its possible im looking in the wrong place because honestly Im kind of lost with mac. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you know the IP address of the Windows machine, you can click the "Go" menu in Finder and "Connect to Server". Assuming you have shared the external drive on Windows, use the format: smb://COMPUTERNAME/SHARENAME ...in the "Server Address" field.

If you can connect using that method, it's probably just a matter of the two machines not being in the same workgroup. If you can't connect that way, it's probably an issue with the security software on the Windows 7 box.

More information here:

File Sharing: Win7 and Snow Leopard - How to Share Windows 7 Files with OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

OP
L
Reaction score
working....kind of

Ok so it seems to be working kind of now. When I enter the ip address of the machine with the external drive it asks which volumes to mount. It gives me an unable to mount message on all the shared folders on that machine except the user one. So I can view the user folder but not the e drive which is the external, i get the unable to mount message when i try to connect.

However on another win7 laptop I can set any folder on the machine to share with everyone and there are no problems, any folder I set to share I can see on the mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Check the tutorial I linked to above, it covers most of the bases needed to prep the Windows machine properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.