Hard Drive?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
Its cheap and like I said I dont do anything special on my computer. Just normal everyday home use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Or this one. Does being refurbished mean it will not last as long as a new one.

My personal opinion is...hard drives are cheap & as long as you have your information properly backed up...you have no worries.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or this one. Does being refurbished mean it will not last as long as a new one.

By the way...I have absolutely no idea what a "refurbishing" process would be for a hard drive...other than plugging it in to see if it works. Hard drives are sealed mechanical devices full of high precision parts...which I hardly believe the average person on e-Bay could "refurbish".

To me a "refurbished" hard drive is just a fancy term for "used hard drive". And if you're going to buy a "used hard drive"...might as well pay used hard drive prices...which would be less than the $49.95 the person is charging on e-Bay. For a used 80gig IDE hard drive on Craig's List...I would expect to pay around $20-$25 bucks.

Hard drives like automobiles are "mechanical devices". Like the mileage on a car...hours on a hard drive can indicate it's age. The more hours on it...the older it is. Of course we have had reports of folks getting brand new hard drives that have failed shortly after purchase & installation.

So the key is (new or used HD)...keep your data backed up.:)

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
By the way...I have absolutely no idea what a "refurbishing" process would be for a hard drive...other than plugging it in to see if it works. Hard drives are sealed mechanical devices full of high precision parts...which I hardly believe the average person on e-Bay could "refurbish".

To me a "refurbished" hard drive is just a fancy term for "used hard drive". And if you're going to buy a "used hard drive"...might as well pay used hard drive prices...which would be less than the $49.95 the person is charging on e-Bay. For a used 80gig IDE hard drive on Craig's List...I would expect to pay around $20-$25 bucks.

Hard drives like automobiles are "mechanical devices". Like the mileage on a car...hours on a hard drive can indicate it's age. The more hours on it...the older it is. Of course we have had reports of folks getting brand new hard drives that have failed shortly after purchase & installation.

So the key is (new or used HD)...keep your data backed up.:)

- Nick
It says it was refurbished by the manufacture and he has a guarantee on a 5 year warranty for whatever reason it breaks. Here is what it said: Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or manufacturer-approved vendor. This means the product has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in the original packaging. See the seller’s listing for full details.
I also did message the seller just to clear everything up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It says it was refurbished by the manufacture and he has a guarantee on a 5 year warranty for whatever reason it breaks.
I also did message the seller just to clear everything up.

Maybe if there's a manufacturer involved...maybe the refurbishing process is a bit more involved.

Just buy a hard drive already!;)

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
Maybe if there's a manufacturer involved...maybe the refurbishing process is a bit more involved.

Just buy a hard drive already!;)

- Nick

Your right i am making this to much of a big deal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
BTW, when a manufacturer refurbishes a hard drive, it's mostly an electronic component refurbishing. In other words, replacing a bad controller board. They normally do not refurbish the platters and heads. Too time consuming and expensive.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
BTW, when a manufacturer refurbishes a hard drive, it's mostly an electronic component refurbishing. In other words, replacing a bad controller board. They normally do not refurbish the platters and heads. Too time consuming and expensive.

O well. I already ordered it.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
And it has a 5 year warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook. 2GHz Core 2 Duo. 3GB DDR2 RAM. 320GB HDD. OSX (10.6.8)
In my job sometimes I order refurbished Hard Drives for the Mac's I service and support, and I have not had one failure from refurbed drives. Backing up your data is smart so if something were to happen, you don't lose any of it. Just for information reference, the G4 PowerBook's, if I remember, could accept up to a 250GB HDD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.