iPhone screen protector: Yes or No?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I've seen all these plastic screen protectors for sale. I've looked at reviews for different ones. My question is......Are they necessary? I have a case for my iPhone 4s but no screen protector. I'm careful. I don't get the phone dirty. I don't cram it in my pocket while I'm doing manual labor. I'm really anal about this phone.

Do most folks on this forum recommend a screen protector?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Never used them on any of my phones but do use rubber bumpers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I think they are useless. The glass on the iPhone is pretty tough. Anything sharp or abrasive enough to scratch the glass is going to cut right through a transparent film like nothing. Like saying that wearing clothes will protect you from a stabbing.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've been using one - and you'd never know there was one on there - until it gets a scratch that is. I have a bad habit of shoving my phone in the same pocket as my keys. It's true - the glass used is very difficult to scratch but I like having the screen protector - and I didn't think that I would.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I LOVE these screen protectors: HD Anti-Glare Film Set - iPhone 4/4S - Shop | Power Support USA

They're anti-glare (matte finish), and do not have any adhesive on the back, so no sticky mess. They go on super easy and stay on. They're finger print and oil resistant to boot. I personally find that phones with finger prints and smudges all over them are ugly and nasty.

Highly recommended.

Doug

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I LOVE these screen protectors: HD Anti-Glare Film Set - iPhone 4/4S - Shop | Power Support USA

They're anti-glare (matte finish), and do not have any adhesive on the back, so no sticky mess. They go on super easy and stay on. They're finger print and oil resistant to boot. I personally find that phones with finger prints and smudges all over them are ugly and nasty.

Highly recommended.

Doug

I have the same one. The front one is way more durable than the back for sure. The back of my phone has crazy scratches on it. Luckily I have the screen protector for the back too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Get a screen protector.

I didn't have one on my phone for a while and I have two small scuff marks on the screen from when I brushed up on a wall. If I would of had the screen protector on it from the start I wouldn't of had to worry. :(

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Highly recommended.

Doug

I have several of these ready to go myself - based on previous recommendations read here. I'm just waiting until I get a nick on the currently installed protector that will sufficiently motivate me to go through the trouble of taking my case off. The first time I took it off - was quite a chore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
I often carry my phone in my purse so I thought I should get a screen protector. The first one I purchased was junk. Then, I purchased this one from Amazon and it has worked great. I hardly notice its on my phone. It was easy to "install" and I had no problems with bubbles or dust particles getting trapped. Also, the edges don't peel, which was the problem I had with the first product I purchased. I don't use the rear protector because I also have a gel case on my phone. They are inexpensive but do take about 10 days to arrive.

Amazon.com: Halo Screen Protector Film Clear (Invisible) for iPhone 4G 4S 4 (3 Pack + 3 Bonus Back Films): Cell Phones & Accessories

I have 2 friends who elected against using a screen protector and their screens got scratched and damaged a bit. The iPhone glass does seem very hard and resistant to bumps and bruises but still, damage does happen. I think for the investment of an iPhone and the low cost of a screen protector, the piece of mind and potential protection they offer is worth it.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should add that I was convinced to use one with the wife came home telling me about one of her fellow teachers whose new iPhone 4S screen was already scratched up by her 3yr old. Since I have one of those myself - I figured it was worth using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
I have one on mine, also have back protector plus case to top it all. You can hardly notice it's there, almost invisible. And you know your phone is absolutely safe from scratches.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Highly recommended.

Doug

I have the non-matte version (I believe Power Support refers to them as "Crystal Films") and it's great. You can't even tell it's on, unlike some of the cheaper variants.

The way I figure it, I can easily replace the film if it gets scratched, I can't easily replace the screen. Better safe than sorry...

C

chas_m

Gorilla Glass is quite hale and hearty if the OP is as careful with his phone as he says. I don't think a screen protector is needed for just that.

OTOH, good quality screen protectors can really cut down on the oil/dirt issue and are pretty cheap and can do some good in an accident, so there's really not much argument against using them if you can apply them smoothly.

Reaction score
I use the NuShield DayVue film because it lets me see the screen clearly outside. I don't have to cover the phone with my other hand to read my texts.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use the NuShield DayVue film because it lets me see the screen clearly outside. I don't have to cover the phone with my other hand to read my texts.

Love the username :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Well I use one for my iPhone 3Gs, and I like it because it keeps it from getting smudges and dirty. Even if you are careful, you are still touching it. You will have better luck just buying them on Amazon for REALLY cheep. I went on Amazon, got 5 of them for $0.98 + like $0.12 for shipping.

Though they will not protect if from a drop or anything, it is just a small bonus to the phone.

Bcn

Reaction score
Hi there!

I've been thinking about getting a screen protector for my iPhone 4s as I don't want any scratches obviously. I've always thought it's kinda stupid and that I don't need any protection, but then I started thinking what if.... I don't want to use a case, so I guess a protector for both the front and the back would do just fine?

Can you recommend the ones they have at the Apple Store?

Reaction score
I don't use one on either my iPod Touch or iPhone 4S. I had the iPod first and never had any problems with scratches. I'm careful not to put it in a coat pocket with keys and usually just transport it by hand--don't stick it in any bags, briefcases, pockets, etc. One year later, the screen is still in mint condition. Therefore, I decided against it for the iPhone when I got it last month.

In fact, the only protection I have on the iPhone is one of Apple's bumpers. Most everyone else I know with iPhones bought a case, but I've found the bumper is adequate, plus I like having something in tangerine other than an obsolete iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Highly recommended.

I use and recommend the same (have it on two iPhones). I don't want to have to work about my keys scratching my phone, or some errant mishap if it ends up in my briefcase while battling my way through airport security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
My dad does construction and his 4 has a few scratches on it and i use mine without one and it only has one scratch on it that is noticible. it just depends on what you are using the phone for. to be safe you can get a 3 pack for front and back on amazon for a dollar or two.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.