replace internal drive

Reaction score
If I replace the internal drive, using a USB external with a CCC or Time Machine backup for my new source drive, will I be able to start up all the apps (photoshop, lightroom, word, etc etc) without having to re-enter the application serial numbers? Also, should I use migration assistant?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Usually yes though Adobe stuff can be temperamental from time to time. I would suggest using CCC, SuperDuper or even recent editions of Disk Utility to make the clone. Time Machine on its own does not produce a bootable clone.

Once you have made the clone, and before erasing/getting rid of the original boot from it to make sure everything work. I once had a clone that would not take my password.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, sounds like good advice. So once I boot up from the external and check all, and then replace the internal drive with a new drive, do I use ccc again to again copy everything back to the internal drive?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes. Depending upon how much you have to copy it could be a bit time consuming but you can usually start the process and walk away for a while.

Unless the old drive is failing or you have other uses for it may I suggest keeping it around as a bootable backup is easy using either a drive adapter or external enclosure. With regular cloning to cloning to keep things current you could be back up and running in no time with little or no data loss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.