Windows user, considering moving to Mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm a programmer, and an experienced windows user- I'v been with Windows since the very beginning, and as I'm a power-user, I'm very familiar with the gory details of windows, tweaking many of its aspects, and using many opensource utils and hacks to enhance the experience.

In the last year I've been thinking of moving to Mac.

From what I know about Mac OS X, it's an extremely easy to use OS, very smooth and fun-to-use for a simple home-user, and I wanted to ask (at the risk of sounding funny to some):
- Is OS X suitable for high-end power users / devlopers, or does it confine you to a "beginners use"?
- Does it has as many hacks and free OS utils as in Windows environment?
- Is it a "confined garden" as the iOS based apple devices, or is it open for users to play with and hack it?

I'd really appreciate answers!

Reaction score
Answer to question

1. No
2. No
3a Yes
3b No

Mac os is very stable but for an advanced windows user not very user friendly.
But there again i have learned to live with it because i have Parallels Desktop VM with xp.
It gives you the best of both worlds, Mac os and windows in the same session, you can
minimize windows and use mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.