Xserve - New discs are NOT registered

Reaction score
Hello

I have an Xserve 1.1 (late 2006), which needs a replacement set of harddrives in Raid, with a clean install of Lion.

Currently the machine holds two standard SATA-discs physically mounted in bays in the front. The machine runs 10.4.11 Server, and the discs are configured as a Mirrored Software-raid. According to Apple, the machine is running the latest firmware.

I have accuired two new disks (WD Caviar Black 640Gb - WD6401AALS) and mounted those in bays and replaced the old disks with these new ones.

But, when I boot the machine from the Lion Install-CD, and starts "DiscTool", the new discs are NOT registered ... they seem invisible to DiscTool.

How am I going to initialize a fresh Mirrored raid on the new discs, and install Lion, if DicsTool can't see them?

Any ideas/pointers/suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

OP
Z
Reaction score
Solution

Place a jumper between pin5 and pin6, controlling the transfer speed of the physical drive, downgrading it to 1.5 Gb/sec :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.