My window is BIGGER than my screen! help!

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I recently got this 11' Macbook Air with Lion. The resolution is at 1366 x 768 and I am trying to use two programs that don't work well with this computer.

Rosetta Stone (one of the programs) has a very large window in which there is no scrolling or any way in which I can manually alter the size, width, length of the window to make it fit in the small monitor.

Here is an image of what it looks like:
Screen Shot 2011-12-14 at 9.59.43 PM.png

And here is how it is supposed to look like:
rosetta good image.png

the difference is that at the bottom of the "good" rosetta there are a set of numbers in boxes with which you can navigate through the lesson. This si because the window doesn't fit the screen.

I have also found this problem with several videogames so no language learning or videogames for me! that sucks!

I tried changing the resolution and I called Apple peeps and they "tried" helping me, but they wanted 50 bucks to "research" more.

Can you guys help me out!?

PS: I'm looking for something simple. I do not know how to code or do crazy things with that black screen you guys love...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just resize the window by clicking on the little "green" dot in the upper left of the window.

But this will not guarantee that everything will be visible...you may still need to do a little vertical scrolling.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Kidding?

Just resize the window by clicking on the little "green" dot in the upper left of the window.

But this will not guarantee that everything will be visible...you may still need to do a little vertical scrolling.

- Nick

Oh Nick. You think I didnt try that? It doesnt have a scroll bar so i cant do either of the things you said. I hope you said that with sarcasm. I tried green button with option key too and it only becomes wider, the lower part still hidden.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh Nick. You think I didnt try that?

Actually I don't know that you tried that...since you did not mention it in your initial post. I'm sorry...but I cannot read your mind to know what you have or have not tried!

It doesnt have a scroll bar so i cant do either of the things you said. I hope you said that with sarcasm. I tried green button with option key too and it only becomes wider, the lower part still hidden.

Regarding the scroll bar...if a scroll bar were to show up...I wouldn't expect it to show up until AFTER the "green dot" were clicked to resize the window. I only mentioned the scroll bar part to warn you that if the window got resized correctly...you "might" have a scroll bar to work with.

As far as the screen resolution...don't change it from the "native" resolution of the MacBook Air. This will only complicate things.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It wasn't sarcastic - you didn't mention that you tried it so he suggested it.

Since you're using Lion, you can resize the window from any corner. Simply do so and move the window as needed to make it fit.

OP
P
Reaction score
i thought it was sarcastic. since its the most obvious thing to do and I have heard things like that before. I once posted (not here) my iphone wont turn off and somebody said click the upper right turn off button. Sorry if it sounded wrong/rude, but you dont need to say you cant read my mind.

pigoo: this window doesn't have a scroll bar and it looks like it never will. Ive tried rosetta on other computers and it never has one. its like a presized window

vansmith: these windows when pointing mouse to corners in one (the game) nothing happens, there are no arrows for resizing purposes, and for rosetta the arrow is not diagonal but lateral it only points left or right

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The corner arrows can be tricky to get since the area which changes the cursor is so small.

Have you plugged your Mac into a different monitor recently? If so, plug it back into it, resize the window and then unplug it. Although OS X is decent at resizing windows when working with external monitors, sometimes it doesn't resize everything.

OP
P
Reaction score
The corner arrows can be tricky to get since the area which changes the cursor is so small.

Have you plugged your Mac into a different monitor recently? If so, plug it back into it, resize the window and then unplug it. Although OS X is decent at resizing windows when working with external monitors, sometimes it doesn't resize everything.

I haven't actually.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i thought it was sarcastic. since its the most obvious thing to do and I have heard things like that before.

We get users of all skill levels here at Mac-Forums...so it's never a good idea to assume anything is obvious...and since this is an internet forum...it's dangerous to assume anything that is not written...since written communication is the only means of communicating.

pigoo: this window doesn't have a scroll bar and it looks like it never will. Ive tried rosetta on other computers and it never has one. its like a presized window

I understand what your saying (about your previous experiences with a "pre-sized" window for Rosetta Stone)...but maybe that's because you were using Rosetta Stone on computers with a much larger display.

At the moment we're talking about using Rosetta Stone on a somewhat small 11" MacBook Air display...which may not be capable of displaying as much info. If this "pre-sized" Rosetta Stone window is not adjustable (and is not fully viewable on the 11" MacBook Air's display)...maybe there is some sort of hardware requirement listed on the Rosetta Stone box for a minimum display/resolution level (which the 11" MacBook Air may not be meeting).

Just a theory,

- Nick

p.s. Adding to Vansmith's idea. If the 11" MacBook Air's display is not capable of fully displaying this Rosetta Stone window...and if the Rosetta Stone window is not capable of being re-sized...maybe plugging a larger resolution external display into the 11" MacBook Air is the only way of fully displaying the Rosetta Stone window. I know that this is not an ideal solution...but it may be the only solution...if nothing else works.

Reaction score
full screen mode

In the rosetta stone menu box there is an option that says "full-screen display". when I click on that I can see the navigation menu below. Before I was having the same problem as you. Not sure if the other programs you're using have a similar internal full screen option or not. Hope this helps :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the rosetta stone menu box there is an option that says "full-screen display". when I click on that I can see the navigation menu below. Before I was having the same problem as you. Not sure if the other programs you're using have a similar internal full screen option or not. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the tip...and maybe others will be able to benefit.:)

As far as the original poster goes...this is an almost 3 year old question/thread. ;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Since we're resurecting this thread, you could also try manually adjusting the window's size through the programs .plist, they go in ~/Library/Preferences/com.yourcompany.yourproduct.plist.

Look for this

<key>NSPreferencesContentSize</key>
<string>{508, 240}</string>

The numbers are the window's dimensions. Adjust those to your liking and save. This info is stolen from another Mac forum, I don't know what the policy on linking to other forums is here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Even though this is an old thread....
I have had this problem on occasion, and solved it by changing the screen resolutions, resizing the window, and changing the resolutions back to what they were. I note that it was recommended to NOT do this in a post above, and perhaps that is due to it being an 11" MacBook Air. (?)

And a word to the wise for all posting questions... We can't read between the lines. Fill that in! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.