No youtube, slow down loads.

Reaction score
Another fairly new Mac user (Imac).
I am unable to access "youtube" either directly or via an e mail attachment, from Safari or recently downloaded Firefox. I have cleared the Cache and reset Safari per instruction from Safari help? I always get a message unable to find web site?
Also This Mac Forums site loads very slow 2-3 mins for the site to come up and 2-3 mins to switch to another page or next page, is this normal?
I asked these same questions about a month ago and did not get a useable response. It really is frustrating not to be able to work out these kinds of issues! PRMc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
It is not normal and sounds more like a problem with your internet connection. Do other sites come up quickly?

C

chas_m

The problems are probably related, but YouTube (unless you change settings to specify otherwise) needs Flash. You probably need to download the latest version of Flash.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks BOBSTAN. Yes most of the other cites I visit download quickly (much faster than my old PC) and I only get an occasional "can not find the website" message. Phil

OP
H
Reaction score
Chas m. I am not sure about "Flash" I don't see it listed in my applications?
The curious thing is that occasionally attachments with a youtube video will download and play but usually not and it will not access youtube from the Mac toolbar? I talked to my service provider and they could not determine any problem on their end! Phil

C

chas_m

Flash isn't an application. It's malware. :)

Just kidding, but it has had more than its share of security issues. Flash is a plug-in for web browsers. You can just visit Adobe's website and it will tell you what version of Flash you are running, what the latest version is and let you update.

I'm not exactly clear on what you are saying re: YouTube. Can you get to the website at all?

As an experiment you can try this: visit here first -- http://www.youtube.com/html5

Click on "Join the HTML5 beta"

Now visit the regular YouTube site and see if you can view videos. Report back.

OP
H
Reaction score
chas m: I down loaded the youtube.com/html5 beta, and it seems to be working. I was able to view some youtube email attachments and access youtube from the Safari toolbar. I was unable to do either before! Thanks much for you advice, I'll see how it works a couple of days and let you know via the forum. Phil

C

chas_m

Great! What I think that's telling you (what I had you do is tell YouTube NOT to use Flash and instead use the HTML5 player) is that my initial guess was right and that you don't have or have an outdated copy of Flash.

At some point you should visit Adobe's website and get up-to-date on that. You should also install Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian if you haven't already (both free).

OP
H
Reaction score
chas m:
I had previously installed Flip4mac WMV and Perian trying to solve this problem, but haven't installed any Adobe product. I will check there website re the Flash..
Thanks again... Phil

OP
H
Reaction score
chas m.
I spoke too soon on being able to down load youtube I am still unable to download youtube attachments or very often able to go to that site directly. Occasionally a you tube video will download but rarely? Phil

OP
H
Reaction score
chas m.
I forgot to add that I downloaded and installed Adobe flash. There was no improvement on youtube performance! Phil

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you say Download You Tube, do you mean watch the videos ON You Tube, or download the video to your drive?

OP
H
Reaction score
dtravis7:
My mac will not access the you tube site directly, or access any attachments that contain you tube? Phil

C

chas_m

At this point I have to ask for what I should have asked for in the first place: model of Mac, system OS version being run, etc.

Specs. We need em.

OP
H
Reaction score
chas m.
I MAC, 6 mos. old, OS X 10.6.8 operating system . Start up disc Macintosh HD
Phil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.