Wi-Fi Connection Timeout

Reaction score
OK. Made the switch to Mac Yesterday and have spent over 2 hours on the phone with apple support. Here's the issue:

Using a D-Link 524 router for teh network. I set up the iMac last night. The WiFi network at the house, along with 5 neighbors, is seen and the signal is strong. I use the password and get a "Connection Timeout" error. I call apple. We find that I am using WEP security. I change the security to WPA-PSK and reset everything. Double check the other computers in the house. All online without an error. I go back to the iMac...no WiFi. Detects network but times out. I go to bed frustrated. Wake up and check to see if there was a Christmas miracle and Lo' and Behold, I have internet. I surf 3 pages and log out of Safari. I leave for 8 hours. I wake up the iMac and right off the bat it has no internet connection. I call apple support again. We go throught the same network preferences again. We restarted the computer with the Command, Option, P & R keys depressed. Resetting the PRAM? Upon restart the internet works fine. Go to dinner. Wake up iMac. No internet. Attempt login. Connection Timeout. Call apple support...AGAIN... Go through System Preferences, Network diagnostics, Assistant and reset the modem and router. No fix. Answer from guy at apple...it is either your router or isp provider. His rational is because the iMac is doing its job and has found the WiFi network but the network won't allow it in so it times out.
I ask...Why would the iMac connect two seperate times? Could the be kicking it off? If so, why not the three pc's on the same wifi network?

Help please.

OP
D
Reaction score
I forgot to mention. There is an unsecured WiFi network next door that is showing with a strong signal. I get the time out message when trying to get on that one as well.

Reaction score
I'm having exactly the same problem with my new Mac Mini Sever. It has full wifi signal but gives a 'Connection timed out' warning and only occasionally connects to the Internet. What makes it more frustrating is that a MBP, MBA, MP and two iPhone 4S connect just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.