I need help and i'm losing hair deciding

Reaction score
Pro or Air?
I know the pros and cons of both, at least for me
Pro has more ports and guts, more storage space and a cd drive, but weighs a ton
Air is awesomely thin and light but no cd drive and only up to 256gb of storage

I can't friggin' decide. I need some help. Please weigh in

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Pro or Air?
I know the pros and cons of both, at least for me
Pro has more ports and guts, more storage space and a cd drive, but weighs a ton
Air is awesomely thin and light but no cd drive and only up to 256gb of storage

I can't friggin' decide. I need some help. Please weigh in

Sounds like you got all the answers...so make your own decision...why would you want others to decide for you??

By the way...the MacBook Pro's don't "weigh a ton". If you think that they do...it's time to hit the gym...and start lifting some weights!;)

Good luck with your decision,:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
While I thank you for your somewhat snarky yet useful response, I want others to chime in so I will make my own decision after I garner more insight. I've never owned a mac before. I do have to go to the gym, but that's irrelevant to the fact that there is an undeniable 1.5 lbs difference in the 2 and a dramatic difference in thickness.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never owned a mac before.

Probably should have mentioned this in your initial post!:)

I do have to go to the gym, but that's irrelevant to the fact that there is an undeniable 1.5 lbs difference in the 2 and a dramatic difference in thickness.

You didn't mention which MacBook Pro you were considering (13" or 15")...and this would certainly have a bearing on the weight of the computer!

Also...there was a time when the "standard" 14"-15" laptop computer weighed 6-7lbs. Now a 15" MacBook Pro weighs 5.6lbs....and a 13" MacBook Pro weighs 4.5 lbs. So either human beings in the last 10 years have gotten weaker...or "wimpier"!;)

One VERY important parameter you didn't mention is ram. Once you buy a MacBook Air...the ram is NOT upgradeable (you're stuck with what you got)...and the max. ram for the MacBook Air models is 4gig. The max. ram on the 2011 MacBook Pro models is 16gig.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...I can't help with the hair loss!;)

OP
A
Reaction score
No worries, I have a full head of hair

It seems like here in Canada, I can't upgrade to 16gigs, only 8
I think I've decided about 90% on a 13" Macbook Pro. Now I just have to figure out i5 or i7, 4gigs or 8, and how much storage

Oy!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries, I have a full head of hair...

For now!!!;)

It seems like here in Canada, I can't upgrade to 16gigs, only 8...

Apple's "Official" max ram for the MacBook Pros is 8gig...but folks have found that 16 gig can be successfully installed (this happens occasionally).:)

I think I've decided about 90% on a 13" Macbook Pro. Now I just have to figure out i5 or i7, 4gigs or 8, and how much storage.

Easy answer for the hard drive size & amount of ram for a MacBook Pro...just buy one of the stock configurations for now...and upgrade later as you need it (Apple charges too much for ram).

You have to decide on the cpu (i5 or i7)...which is mostly a $$$ decision.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the help

So I can always add both RAM and drive size afterwards? I had no idea

Is i7 that much better than i5?

OP
A
Reaction score
You're a beauty Nick

Last question. Let's say I buy a standard 4gigs Ram and 500gb storage. In a year or 2 I want to add more of both. Do I buy them both let's say at a Tiger direct or Best buy and bring it to Apple, or would any computer store do the install. Sorry, Mac's are all new to me

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're a beauty Nick

Sometimes "snarky" too!;)

Last question. Let's say I buy a standard 4gigs Ram and 500gb storage. In a year or 2 I want to add more of both. Do I buy them both let's say at a Tiger direct or Best buy and bring it to Apple, or would any computer store do the install.

Well...this all depends on your abilities. We usually recommend a website called iFixit.com. This site has really good DIY instructions for most upgrades & repairs...then there's YouTube videos as well.

If you have "zero" confidence in your abilities to upgrade your own computer...then that may put a "wrinkle" in what you purchase now. You could go to iFixit.com...and review the ram & hard drive upgrade/replacement procedures...and see if you're up to the task.

- Nick

p.s. FYI...OWC:

www.macsales.com

...is a great place to purchase upgrade items as well. But that still leaves you with the install issue.

OP
A
Reaction score
Even if I'm not confident in my ability to do it myself, I can bring purchased ram and hard drive to a computer store or apple and they will do it for me, for a fee. Is that right? The diy would be to safe the costs?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if I'm not confident in my ability to do it myself, I can bring purchased ram and hard drive to a computer store or apple and they will do it for me, for a fee. Is that right?

Sure...most "brick & mortar" stores that sell ram & HD's have installation services...they just cost too much for my liking!

The diy would be to safe the costs?

Absolutely!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do apple stores do these installs too?

Sure they do (if you buy the ram from them)...but then you're back to paying the exceedingly high prices Apple charges for ram. I think that the price is the same (ram + install) if you buy the computer with more ram initially...or buy the ram later (and Apple installs it).

Basically Apple charges a lot for the ram...because the cost includes the install fee. They just say...sure...buy the ram from us...and we'll install it for free (when the cost of the ram is built into the ram cost)!

The ram & HD install is really not that hard. I could do it in like 5-10 minutes. A person doing it for the first time...and being REALLY slow & careful...30-60 minutes.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
I lied Nick, last question
Can I upgrade from core i5 to i7 later like I may do with Ram and storage, or is the processor the one thing that can't be upgraded after the purchase?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
One VERY important parameter you didn't mention is ram. Once you buy a MacBook Air...the ram is [b said:
NOT[/b] upgradeable (you're stuck with what you got)...and the max. ram for the MacBook Air models is 4gig. The max. ram on the 2011 MacBook Pro models is 16gig.

this is a very good informative point....hadn't clocked this before.

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.