Mac Mini on a big screen

Reaction score
New member, tried searching forums but didn't see a topic on this...

I am trading in my old macbook pro due for several reasons and was initially going to get a new macbook pro, but with the ipad, iphone and the fact that i don't use computers a lot for work, I've considered going Mac mini to eliminate a "work station" and save money.

I have a new 50" plasma full HD tv that will be compatible. Anybody have any experience running a mini from a TV that size? I know there will be resolution issue, but is it going to be bad enough that it'll be pointless?

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
New member, tried searching forums but didn't see a topic on this...

I am trading in my old macbook pro due for several reasons and was initially going to get a new macbook pro, but with the ipad, iphone and the fact that i don't use computers a lot for work, I've considered going Mac mini to eliminate a "work station" and save money.

I have a new 50" plasma full HD tv that will be compatible. Anybody have any experience running a mini from a TV that size? I know there will be resolution issue, but is it going to be bad enough that it'll be pointless?

Thanks

That depends upon your expectations.

I ran my Mac Mini hooked up to our 37in LCD TV for a while and it worked (sort of). Difficult to find a good balance on viewing distance. Typically furniture arrangements for TVs are not suitable for computer monitor view screen distances. Can be really difficult to read print.

Switched to a 27in Monitor and I love it. :D

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks Razormac...I feel like most of my web browsing would be switched to the ipad, so i'm not sure i'd do much reading. I'd still watch videos, manage my itunes library, download from itunes, play some games (big on the NES emulator) and do some emergency word and excel editing (that could probably be handled just as well from an ipad app) from the mini. I just don't want to go that route if everything on there is going to be blurry or pixelated! I appreciate your input

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks Razormac...I feel like most of my web browsing would be switched to the ipad, so i'm not sure i'd do much reading. I'd still watch videos, manage my itunes library, download from itunes, play some games (big on the NES emulator) and do some emergency word and excel editing (that could probably be handled just as well from an ipad app) from the mini. I just don't want to go that route if everything on there is going to be blurry or pixelated! I appreciate your input

Definitely not as sharp as a monitor (at least in my experience) but usable for Word Processing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.