macbook pro which cooling stand

Reaction score
my wife has a 13 inch macbook pro which does get very hot,
can anyone recommend a good cooling stand, I have read that some arnt to good, so what are folks using,
many thanks for any replies

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My personal opinion is they're all a waste of money!;) But if you have a specific product in mind that you think is ok...please post a link for it...and we can discuss further.

Also...what is your reason/concern for wanting to get one of these products?

Thanks,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I would agree they're all a waste of money because a notebook stand besides allowing cool air to circulate below also provide protection against nasty spills.

I think what Nick is referring to are those stands that have fancy fans and what not that supposedly aid in cooling.

I've got a Griffin Elevator (no fans) that I've used for years on my older 2008 MacBook. I like it because it elevates the machine more to my eye level and protects it from coffee spills. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi Nick
the laptop gets very very hot, so hot you cant keep it on your lap, we normally place it on a wooden tray so the air gets underneath and around the vents at the back, but it still gets hot and the fans kick in and have a real good go,
I tend to stream alot from youtube/catchup tv etc, and it gets hot then.
I have downloaded istat to have a look at things.
cpu gets up around 80

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
Hi Nick
the laptop gets very very hot, so hot you cant keep it on your lap, we normally place it on a wooden tray so the air gets underneath and around the vents at the back, but it still gets hot and the fans kick in and have a real good go,
cpu gets up around 80

I use the Macally bamboo stands with the USB powered fans. Thy elevate the MBP on the desk and provide good cooling too.

Amazon.com: Macally ECOFANPRO Bamboo Laptop Stand with Fan: Electronics

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure I would agree they're all a waste of money because a notebook stand besides allowing cool air to circulate below also provide protection against nasty spills.

I agree...but then it would be an "anti-spill" stand!;)

I think what Nick is referring to are those stands that have fancy fans and what not that supposedly aid in cooling.

Yes...these are the ones that I'm mostly thinking about.:)

I like it because it elevates the machine more to my eye level and protects it from coffee spills. :)

Two very good reasons for a notebook stand:)...it's the cooling effectiveness of the stand I question (versus just placing the notebook on a solid surface like a coffee table or dining room table).;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick
cpu gets up around 80

Everything you mentioned has been posted & discussed here on Mac-Forum's what seems about 50,000 times...80°C really isn't that high...we've had members report 90°C+.

The term for these computers in recent years has sort of "morphed" from "laptop" to "notebook"...with the point being...they're not so "laptop friendly" any more since they can get very hot.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use the Macally bamboo stands with the USB powered fans. Thy elevate the MBP on the desk and provide good cooling too.

Have you actually used some sort of temperature measuring device to verify a temperature reduction (or change) due to the use of the cooling stand?

If not...here would be one way to do the experiment:

Control Group: Laptop on a solid surface like a coffee table or dining room table (not a persons lap or a bed with blankets on it that could block cooling air). Temperature measuring device to quantify the laptops temp.

Test Group: Cooling stand on a flat surface, laptop on top of the cooling stand (temperature device to detect a change in temperature vs. the Control).

And of course both experiments need to have the laptop doing the EXACT same thing & be at the exact same beginning temp. in order to isolate the effectiveness (or lack of effectiveness) of the cooling stand.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Anything that will elevate the back of the notebook would work do to convection I have used those big erasers on my older units ,my 09 MBP does not run anywhere near as hot as the 06 did.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anything that will elevate the back of the notebook would work do to convection I have used those big erasers on my older units ,my 09 MBP does not run anywhere near as hot as the 06 did.

I could see the convection idea helping/working...I wonder how many degrees the temp. drops.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I could see the convection idea helping/working...I wonder how many degrees the temp. drops.

- Nick

I got a realistic 10℉ according to iStat Pro when I did this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
Have you actually used some sort of temperature measuring device to verify a temperature reduction (or change) due to the use of the cooling stand?

If not...here would be one way to do the experiment:

Control Group: Laptop on a solid surface like a coffee table or dining room table (not a persons lap or a bed with blankets on it that could block cooling air). Temperature measuring device to quantify the laptops temp.

Test Group: Cooling stand on a flat surface, laptop on top of the cooling stand (temperature device to detect a change in temperature vs. the Control).

And of course both experiments need to have the laptop doing the EXACT same thing & be at the exact same beginning temp. in order to isolate the effectiveness (or lack of effectiveness) of the cooling stand.

- Nick

I just got a new MBP i7 that runs much cooler than my 2008 MBP did but I'll do the test you suggest to the best ability I can. However I can say that with my MBP early 2008 15.4 that with it flat on the desk the palm rest and bottom would get uncomfortably hot and after I got the bamboo stand that problem went away. But I never did check Hardware monitor as to the difference in temps.:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a realistic 10℉ according to iStat Pro when I did this.

That's pretty good...given the simplicity & cost of the method!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I got similar results with my rain iLap (which I love for kickin' it in the living room). I also have an mstand in my office... and that I completely dig. But that's a completely different purpose (it's closer to eye level for me)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got a new MBP i7 that runs much cooler than my 2008 MBP did but I'll do the test you suggest to the best ability I can. However I can say that with my MBP early 2008 15.4 that with it flat on the desk the palm rest and bottom would get uncomfortably hot and after I got the bamboo stand that problem went away. But I never did check Hardware monitor as to the difference in temps.:)

I'm mostly skeptical of most laptop cooling devices. Laptops these days just run very hot...and there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. People mostly complain about laptop/notebook temps when they hold/use them on their "laps". Take the laptop off the lap...and onto a table...and no problem!:)

These things are designed by the manufacturer (Apple) to run hot (at the temps that they operate at)...otherwise they would all "burn up"...or at least be constantly shutting off automatically if a max. safe temp. is exceeded.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
About the only thing that seems to help at all is airspace

Reaction score
I realize most people here seem opposed to the idea of a fan....but I spend so much time editing on final cut and my MBP can easily get up to 100 degrees for hours. I just would feel better with a stand fan.

that said, any other product recommendations anyone might have? I only saw one in this chain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.