Video Editor here, is this a system upgrade or downgrade?

Reaction score
Hello, I work for a commercial production company. Part of the deal when I started working here was that I had my own computer I could use. Now that I am established I have been trying to convince my boss to buy an office desktop...it would be beneficial if I decide to leave (but obviously I can't say that), and I want to preserve my macbook for personal audio recording at home.

My boss recently hired her daughter to run our photo division and she bought her the following 21" imac:

2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache
4GB (two 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory
1TB (7200 rpm) hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Her daughter is leaving to live with her long distance BF, so she offered me the computer. However, my macbook pro has better specs:

2.66ghz INtel core I7
8GB 1066Mhz DDR3 SDRM - 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

So, I was looking to see two things: A) how do the 2 graphics cards
stack up, and B) are we able to put additional RAM into the imac? I
would want 16GB of ram in the imac, so I'm concerned it doesn't have
the required 2 extra slots to do this. Let me know if this is
possible, thanks!

And any other opinions on making this switch. I am not very technically savvy with computers. For instance, the processor in the imac is higher GHZ, but it is an i5 as opposed to the i7. I know absolutely nothing about the graphics cards, but in my experience RAM is the most important aspect of video editing anyway.

I run After effects and Final Cut heavily. Thanks for your time!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know how you came to the conclusion that your MBP has better specs? The iMac is not only newer but much faster - check the recent MacWorld Magazine bench marks to verify that.

Your MBP may have more memory but that's about it. And yes, the iMac can hold up to 32 GB of memory as it has two banks; one upper and one lower.

Also, the iMac graphics card is better. Dollar for dollar, you get the most bang for your buck from an iMac. The only machine that currently out benches an iMac is the Mac Pro.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ah cool, thank you. I guess I just was assuming because of the better processer and the fact that my MBP cost about double what the imac was purchased for. And didn't know about the graphics cards. Thanks for the response

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, great. And by the way.... the iMac has the better CPU, again according to MacWorld bench marks. Notebook computers are more expensive than desktops for an obvious reason. Portability! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.