iPad cutting out more and more

Reaction score
Lately my iPad is crashing and returning me to the homescreen with more and more frequency.

It's a 16GB iPad1, 3G model. Not jailbroken, iOS up to date - in fact, things went to **** when I updated. This used to be a rare problem, but now the resets are occuring all the time. Games, videos, browser, Pages, 3G and wi-fi on or off; whatever I'm doing, it's crashing.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you trie holding both the sleep and home button for a system reboot ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Mine has started doing this more and more too, since iOS 5 was released. Turning it off every night when I go to sleep helps a little, but I still understand your frustration as they never did it before.

As others have suggested if you aren't already, is power it off everyday, and let's hope Apple releases a fix...or we all buy an iPad 3. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Would you believe I never even noticed that there was a proper OFF function until I was setting a hard reset yesterday? :[

Will try shutting it off properly in future. Hopefully that and some tweaking to iOS 5 - hint-hint, Apple! - will solve the problem.

Thanks!

C

chas_m

I'm not having any problems with iOS 5. It certainly does NOT need to be turned off every day, that's ridiculous.

Two things that take care of 99.8% of all iPad problems:

1. Keeping the software up-to-date. This is easy and free.
2. Powering the thing down every once in a while. This is also easy and free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Why is it ridiculous? It works for me and takes a matter of seconds to power up/down.

It keeps kicking me out of apps and the like, returning me to the home screen if I don't, so I turn it off to alleviate the problem.

Just because you don't power yours down everyday, Chas, doesn't meant that others don't have to/can't choose to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I only turned mine off once. Like others I had no idea there was an off button. I thought the white button in front was the off button. To this day I only turned it off once when I was having problems with my keyboard not coming up. Apple said since my battery was so low 9% that some things may not function properly like my keyboard not showing up.
Since restarting my iPad no issues with my keyboard and I make sure it is always charged.
One big happy family :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Most every type of computer to date will need a re-boot at some point or has been the case so far a prime example is Uverse STB's running Windows CE they need one monthly it seems.

C

chas_m

Why is it ridiculous?

It's ridiculous because that's not how the iPad is supposed to work. An iPad is not supposed to be "crashy." In fact, iPads aren't supposed to have app issues AT ALL.

That you HAVE to keep shutting down/hard booting is indicative of a deeper problem (likely to be a hardware problem). It isn't normal for iPads to need that level of shutdown more than, maybe, every few months.

If you're happy to keep putting a band-aid on the real issue, well that's your business. But the idea that an iPad has to be routinely restarted in order to work properly IS RIDICULOUS.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'd be curious to know if the iPads in question here are close to being full - i.e. little memory left? I have no clue what's causing this - but just looking to see if there's any correlating data we can find. Mine does it occasionally - but only for certain apps - and certainly not to any point of annoyance. I very rarely actually shut the iPad down actually - although my iPHone gets shutdown every night - but that's mostly because it sits next to my bed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
My first iPad was crashing as described more and morE often. I performed all of the cures Apple suggested with no results. They replaced it with a new one...same problem. I'm thinking a second tier of tech support is in order.

Reaction score
Sorry to read about problems with their ipads so far mine has worked Ok hope it keeps working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I have an iPad 1, 16gb wifi only model, currently showing 1.9gb available storage and 115mb free RAM.

Recently, possibly since going to IOS 5, I have been getting crashes back to the home screen, mostly when using Safari.

I have tried deleting Safari's cache, and keep shutting down any running apps, all to no avail.

Also I have noticed delays in opening apps since updating to IOS 5, and I'm wondering if the poor old thing is having a struggle to run it.

No such delays when using an iPhone 4S, but I can't recall any crashes because I rarely need to use Safari on the small screen when I have a larger one to look at.

If anyone has crash issues with an iPhone perhaps the problem can be isolated as either hardware or software related?

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.