How to copy a folder?

Reaction score
I must be missing something. I see how when I click on a folder in an external hard drive how to copy a folder, but I do not see how to paste it. Even if I "command v" it doesn't work. I have two hard drives that were made on a pc if that matters? One is for photos that I am done working with, and the other drive contains the photos I am currently editing. The folders contain other empty folders such as engagements, weddings, etc. Every time I get a new wedding, I copy the folder to the drive and save their photos. Hope you can help with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
How is the external hard drive formatted? If it is FAT then you should be able to copy into it. If it is NTFS - then it is probably read only - unless you add NTFS support to your Mac. If you select the drive in finder and hit CMD-i - you can see the format.

Secondly - copying folders on a Mac is different than on a PC. If you copy a folder and paste it into a place with a folder of the same name - then the copied folder replaces fully the original folder. It does not merge the folders as it does on the PC side - so be careful of that.

OP
slewi30
Reaction score
Thanks. I do not know how it is formatted, I'm sort used to plugging things into my PC and they would work. Not so it seems with mac. I'll check out your suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Technology evolves. If you stay within the boundaries of the older technology, things work, ergo, your PC experience, no doubt. If you mix old and new, sometimes they don't play nice with each other. That's what you're probably running into now. If so, it has nothing to do with PC vs. Mac.

OP
slewi30
Reaction score
Thanks toMACsh! So if it IS NTSF, what will I need to do? Would that issue keep lightroom from importing and recognizing folders?

OP
slewi30
Reaction score
I am home now and I did "command i". Sure enough, we are dealing with NTSF! We got some smarties 'round here!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.