ssd is full but 1,5tb left on macintosh hd2

what do i do

please help

i want to install new prigs on 2TB drive

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have a SSD and 1 TB HDD running Snow Leopard.

As I understood things when I bought my 27 inch iMac, the SSD, being only 256 GB, is primarily for your Applications and OS.

What I was advised to do — and it has proved very successful — is move your iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture libraries to your 2 TB HDD. NB just the library, not the application and NOT your home folder. Also move Documents to the HDD as this is, for most people, also large.

The idea is that the SSD allows super fast OS and apps whilst preserving the (usually) large libraries & Documents Folder on the HDD where there is abundant room.

The same principle applies to Lion, I'm told.

Ian

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks

hello

thanks i will do but could you be more specific about how i do this

can i just copy the whole library folder over
or just iTunes etc

will the library still be recognised elsewhere

sorry but I'm very new to this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
Mmmm, seems to me the iTunes program files should be left on the SSD. Just the music files themselves should move to the 2TB platter drive.

I'm kinda thinking if you physically drag the "iTunes Media" (older OS version: "iTunes Music") folder to the 2TB, the system might keep track and you don't have to do anything. It depends if the system treats them kinda like one drive. I'm not sure since this setup is new.

If not, you'll get a "copying" window. Then you'll get two sets of stuff, one on each drive . Then trash the one on the solid state. Then everything in iTunes will show an exclamation point. Then select every song, and delete, and "Move to trash" when that option comes up. Then Add To Library, browse to the 2TB drive, select the "iTunes Media" folder, and Add. That will add everything back, but from the 2TB drive, and it will take a while.

Sorry, I'm not sure if you can leave the "Album Artwork" folder on the SSD for speed or if it needs to move as well. I try to embed all my art instead of depending on iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.