Deleting an application in iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13", 1 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz,iPod Classic 30GB, iPad 2 WiFi 32GB
My iPad is backed up and synced with my MacBook. If I delete an app in the iPad and then sync with MacBook does it delete the app ? Alternatively if I delete an app in the iTunes MacBook and then sync the iPad, what is the scenario?

I had deleted few unwanted apps from the iPad but the moment I connect with my MacBook they re-appear in the downloading section of the iTunes. How can I delete them permanently from iTunes MacBook ?

Thanks for reading and sharing your views...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My iPad is backed up and synced with my MacBook. If I delete an app in the iPad and then sync with MacBook does it delete the app ?

If you delete an app off the iPad before it is synced, then there is no copy on the iPad that can get synced to the Mac.

Alternatively if I delete an app in the iTunes MacBook and then sync the iPad, what is the scenario?

If you delete the app off the MacBook, then sync the iPad, any apps on the iPad that don't exist SHOULD get synced to the MacBook. However… I tried that recently with my iPhone to try and clean out some old apps no longer in use, and what really happened is that all those apps got wiped off my iPhone too when I synced. That's really not supposed to happen… I got a prompt to transfer my "purchases" off the iPhone, which would have been all my apps, but they didn't cross over, so I guess it's just buggy right now.

I had deleted few unwanted apps from the iPad but the moment I connect with my MacBook they re-appear in the downloading section of the iTunes. How can I delete them permanently from iTunes MacBook ?

You probably have enabled the option to automatically download purchased apps in iTunes. Go to:
iTunes > Preferences > Store and deselect "Apps" in the section for Automatic Downloads.

Be aware that if you delete an app off your iPad after you have already synced it, deleting the app off the iPad will not remove it from your Mac. It just won't sync it back.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13", 1 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz,iPod Classic 30GB, iPad 2 WiFi 32GB
If you delete an app off the iPad before it is synced, then there is no copy on the iPad that can get synced to the Mac.

If you delete the app off the MacBook, then sync the iPad, any apps on the iPad that don't exist SHOULD get synced to the MacBook. However… I tried that recently with my iPhone to try and clean out some old apps no longer in use, and what really happened is that all those apps got wiped off my iPhone too when I synced. That's really not supposed to happen… I got a prompt to transfer my "purchases" off the iPhone, which would have been all my apps, but they didn't cross over, so I guess it's just buggy right now.

You probably have enabled the option to automatically download purchased apps in iTunes. Go to:
iTunes > Preferences > Store and deselect "Apps" in the section for Automatic Downloads.

Be aware that if you delete an app off your iPad after you have already synced it, deleting the app off the iPad will not remove it from your Mac. It just won't sync it back.

Thanks Lifeisabeach, well that was a very detailed explanation and really appreciate your time. Let's get back to syncing and editing apps...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.