Which MBP for me?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been a windows user forever and have been in the IT field for about 5 years servicing windows computers and servers. I have never been anti-mac, I have just (until recently) seen macs as being more for the artistic or tech challenged user. My wife got a mac for her new job and she loves it. I have gotten a chance to play around with it and I am really enjoying it as well and now want one.

Here is what my plans are and I need some help choosing the right MBP for my needs. I currently have a desktop PC that I am using to play games (WoW and MW3) on as well as do some software development. I would love to turn my desktop into a SQL server and move my games and Visual Studio onto a MBP. I need help in finding the right MBP that will offer the performance to run games, VM Ware and Visual studio while not breaking the bank. I am looking at the 2.8ghz i7 13" MBP it has a 750GB HDD and 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM. From what I see it looks as though it will be able to do what I need but I would like a few other opinions. I really don't want to go to 15 inch if I don't have to. I don't like the size and I don't want to spend the extra dough. Thanks for any advice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am looking at the 2.8ghz i7 13" MBP it has a 750GB HDD and 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM. From what I see it looks as though it will be able to do what I need but I would like a few other opinions. I really don't want to go to 15 inch if I don't have to. I don't like the size and I don't want to spend the extra dough. Thanks for any advice.

If you're definitely interested in the 13" MBP...there are only two stock configurations...and the 2.8ghz model you mentioned is the top end model. The only modifications to this configuration you can make are more ram, larger hard drive, or installing an SSD...all of which can be done at a later time.

So if you want a 13" MBP...this is the one (not much else to discuss).:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.