deleting a file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MacBook Pro, new 2013 21.5 IMac, iPad (retina)
Hello again.....I have just run into a problem and need help working through it.

I was burning some files to cd's for permanent storage of data. Some split music files. Anyway after I got finished, I found out that I had a new entry under the heading "places" that was called "untitled CD" and it had a radiation symbol to the right of it.

I tried to remove the two files in the "place" by dragging them to trash, but was told that I couldn't move the files to the trash because they could not be deleted.

When I took a look at the files it said that they were "aliases". Now I have never purposely made an alias so don't quite know how they got there and do not know how to get rid of them.

Any insights would be appreciated.

On a related issue....I made a "burn folder" in another folder and tried to drag a file I wanted to burn to it from another hard drive. It did not work. I had to drag the file to the folder first and then drag it into the burn folder from there. Why??? After the burn folder is made and the cd is burned, can you just delete the contents of it and then refill it with other info for another burn or do you have to delete the burn folder first and then make a new one?

Hope that this was clear. If you have any questions please let me know.

13" macbook pro with snow leopard new in Feb 2011. 250 GB hard drive and a 2TB external Hard drive. I think 2 mb memory.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Try holding down the Command key when you drag that item out over the Desktop.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is this Radiation Symbol? Is this a mounted CD? If so that is an Eject symbol.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay...I posted this last night and after about 30 min I turned off the computer and went to bed. Today when I turned on the computer the folder was no longer there. thanks for the ideas but it fixed itself.

The radiation symbol was just that. A circle measured off into quadrants and colored alternatingly yellow and red.

Any information on the burn file questions would be appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just tried that in Lion. Made a Burn Folder on the desktop. Tried to move movie files from my 1TB backup drive to it and only an alias was made. If you hold down OPTION, the file will copy to the burn folder straight from the other drive. Did here anyway.

Holding down Command moves the file so don't do that! :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhhhh Okay. Thanks. I guess that is where my aliases came from in the first place. Finally makes some kind of sense. Appreciate it!

C

chas_m

A "burn folder" only ever puts aliases into itself. The actual files are called on when the disc is burned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.