Random Firewall Notification?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM v10.7.2
Once in a while now I keep getting a random firewall notification that only shows up for a split second before going away.

I can't catch a screenshot of the thing because it happens at random times of the day and I never know when it will show up.

Is this normal after you get Lion or am I seeing something that could be serious in the future?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using a router with your system? All modern routers incorporate NAT (Network Address Translation) which acts as a firewall. Some routers are even more sophisticated and come with a hard wired firewall.

What I'm getting at it is, you may not even need to keep your firewall on. I have had mine turned off from day one.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you using a router with your system? All modern routers incorporate NAT (Network Address Translation) which acts as a firewall. Some routers are even more sophisticated and come with a hard wired firewall.

What I'm getting at it is, you may not even need to keep your firewall on. I have had mine turned off from day one.

Yes I'm wirelessly connected to a router, but I've had my firewall on since March of last year and nothing started happening until now so that's what's getting me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Turn the firewall off as you don't need it since you're connected through a router. Just be sure to use the most secure encryption scheme for wireless which is WPA2.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turn the firewall off as you don't need it since you're connected through a router. Just be sure to use the most secure encryption scheme for wireless which is WPA2.

Our ISP as our router set up as WPA2 so I'm all set! :)

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.