Lag & Beachballs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Hello everyone. I recently got Aperture 3 on my 2006 MacBook and have noticed that when running it both processor cores hover around or @ 100% usage (CoreDuo 2Ghz). I am also getting some lag and the occasional beachball as well. The fan also turns on after extensive use and the processor thermometers are reaching what looks like high temps. I have 2gb of RAM and I hear that is the max the logic board will recognize. I have an upgraded HDD but I think it is still the Standard 5200 RPM. My questions are, will this strain on the processor cores start to mess up my computer?, Is there a way to overclock the processor or something to add more RAM?, if I upgrade the HDD to one of higher RPM will that help, if so how much? and what is a the highest temperature I can/ or should run the proccesor @? I have a widget that will give me the temperature... Thanks loads for your help, especially since it seems I won't be upgrading for a while due to my Dell's not selling.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What you probably need is more ram...unfortunately...2gig is the max. for your laptop.

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
What you probably need is more ram...unfortunately...2gig is the max. for your laptop.

- Nick

That's what I figured :p As far as the processor strain and running temps go, am I going to muck up my computer? Is there a certain temp I should make sure the CPU doesn't exceed?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's what I figured :p As far as the processor strain and running temps go, am I going to muck up my computer? Is there a certain temp I should make sure the CPU doesn't exceed?

Apple has that covered. If it gets too hot...it will automatically shut down.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.