I'm trying to "Add a Printer" .....

Reaction score
I have an Intel iMac using VMware Fusion & Windows XP, SP 2. I have a Canon MX870 printer operating on Wireless network. The Mac side works but the Windows side quit working and I can't seem to get it back.

I'm trying to "Add a Printer" in Control Panel on Windows side by keying in an IP address for the printer.

Where would I get this IP address from?

Thanks for help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not familiar with that specific Canon model but others I have used store the IP in with other settings. On the 990 it is in Settings>LAN Settings>Wireless or something along that line. It might also be in yourrouter's DHCP client list.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have an Intel iMac using VMware Fusion & Windows XP, SP 2. I have a Canon MX870 printer operating on Wireless network. The Mac side works but the Windows side quit working and I can't seem to get it back.

What has changed on the Windows side? When running from within Fusion (virtual machine) it uses your OS X settings for wireless and printing. You can not setup a printer or other device the same as you would if you were running Windows stand alone.

Did you make a backup of your XP virtual machine? Fusion has an option to do that.... if you did make a backup (snapshot) just revert back to when it was working. Otherwise, try setting up the virtual machine for XP once more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.