Downloads folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5", 4GB RAM, 500 GB hdd 16G wi-fi iPad
Hi all. I've been a mac user for about 2 years now, so I'm not really a new switcher, but I felt this is probably a basic question. That is why I posted it here. My downloads folder has a lot of stuff in it. Can I safely remove stuff from the folder without removing items from my computer, or will it remove from elsewhere on the computer simultaneously?
Thanks,
Aaron

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Removing stuff from the folder WILL removing items from your computer..not sure why you would think that it wouldn't..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The Downloads folder is a real folder... the files in it are not shortcuts or aliases. If you want to keep files, you should move them to another location and trash the rest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Yeah, I keep nothing in my downloads folder. I just drag them to where I need them or trash them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Can I safely remove stuff from the downloads folder without removing items from my computer? That is, will it remove from elsewhere on the computer simultaneously?

Fixed that for you. ;)
Now; yes, and no.

If you highlight one icon and hit delete, just that one item is deleted.

Try not to ask compound questions. And don't pursue a career path as a trial attorney. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.