Using 2011 21.5" iMac as external monitor for 2009 15" Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Is this possible? I am using Final Cut Pro a lot on my 15" Macbook Pro (10.6.7) from 2009, and would like to be able to use my new 21.5" iMac as an external monitor.

Is there a particular cable that will allow the two machines to screen share? Or an app? The iMac has a thunderbolt port, the Macbook does not.

Any advice welcome....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 2011 21.5" iMac has a video out port only. Yes, it's a Thunderbolt port backward compatible with the MDP but it still only allows for video out not in. So the answer is no, you can not use it as an external monitor for your MBP.

To answer the other part of your question, you might be able to use Screen Recycler which is an application that allows sharing another Mac's monitor. Here is the download LINK.

EDIT: Please do not cross post. Post to one forum only and continue posting back to the same thread. Your cross post has been removed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.