Windows 98 SE (in Vmware Fusion 4.0.1 (474597), OS X Lion) stuck in 32 bit mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2013 13" MBPro Retina, 3GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB, 768GB Flash
Hi all,

A bizarre thing: I cannot downgrade my colour settings in my guest OS Windows 98 SE. It asks that I restart the guest OS whenever I click '16 bit mode', and I do so, but when it reloads and I double check control panel the display settings have not changed - I'm stuck in 32 bit mode.
Just so you know, I have installed Vmware Tools and updated the video/graphics card driver from it. I'm wondering if one software is over-riding the other? I need to change this!

Thanks in advance.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2013 13" MBPro Retina, 3GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB, 768GB Flash
correction

CORRECTION

I've noticed that I've confused 16 colours with 16 bit.
I DON'T HAVE A 16 BIT OPTION! Only 16 colours, 256 colours, and 32 bit.
What on earth is going on?
------------------------------

Hi all,

A bizarre thing: I cannot downgrade my colour settings in my guest OS Windows 98 SE. It asks that I restart the guest OS whenever I click '16 bit mode', and I do so, but when it reloads and I double check control panel the display settings have not changed - I'm stuck in 32 bit mode.
Just so you know, I have installed Vmware Tools and updated the video/graphics card driver from it. I'm wondering if one software is over-riding the other? I need to change this!

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When running VMWare Fusion or Parallels for that matter, drivers are supplied by the VM not Windows 98SE. It doesn't matter that the 98SE control panel settings for color depth might be 16, 256, or 32 bit (full), it's a limitation of what Fusion supplies.

I have run XP within Fusion and get full color depth regardless of how I set it. Anyway, why do you need 16 colors? Unless it's some older game or program that won't run with anything greater than 16 colors, it should be OK to use the maximum color depth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.