Help with Airport Extreme signal range/strength

Reaction score
I am looking for a wireless router with a strong signal and maximum range please help

OK so on friday we switched ISP's in my house from ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity Cable and we have the modem and the router right now in the basement where we have the main computer that everyone in out family can use when they want, but we also have 3 bedrooms on the 3rd floor of the house so that is 2 floors above the floor that the router I have now is at..the signal is good, when i am all the way upstairs i tested DL speed and i was gettingup to 15Mbps DL and like 4-5Mpbs UL. So basically long story short I just am looking for a wirless router that is two floors below our bedrooms that will give a strong signal with very very good range. I like the airport extreme 2 floors above where it is installed but the signal is on and off meaning sometimes i'll have fast speed sometimes not so fast. So would I need a different router with stronger signal/and better range? or a wifi range extender?

the router i have now is the Apple Airport Extreme 5th generation its dual simultaneous 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, the modem some the SMCD3GNV eMTA modem supplied by comcast because I have phone and internet with xfnity, and the computers we use upstairs are macbook pros. I appreciate any help/advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You can add up to 4 Airport Express's to be controlled with the Airport Extreme Base Station for total home coverage on multi story large square footage homes.

OP
Y
Reaction score
You can add up to 4 Airport Express's to be controlled with the Airport Extreme Base Station for total home coverage on multi story large square footage homes.

so is it basically like a wifi signal range extender? or would i need an ethernet cord connected to the express

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
The Airport expresses can wirelessly extend the network but at the expense of bandwidth. I would just get another router for the other area of the house and use either Ethernet cable or Powerline Ethernet to connect the two. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the BW personally. Just jacking up the power or getting an antenna with higher gain isn't really a fix.

OP
Y
Reaction score
The Airport expresses can wirelessly extend the network but at the expense of bandwidth. I would just get another router for the other area of the house and use either Ethernet cable or Powerline Ethernet to connect the two. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the BW personally. Just jacking up the power or getting an antenna with higher gain isn't really a fix.

see, thats the thing.. all of our internet equipment is hooked up in our basement to our wired PC that does not have wireless access..so if i wanted a stronger wireless signal in my room which is 2 floors above where the router and modem are, that means i would have to run about a 50-100 ft wire up the stairs, etc.. which doesnt look pretty at all

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Well - that's why I suggested looking at Powerline devices - although it's probably not as hard to run that Ethernet cable as you think. The other thing to mention is that's a huge part of your coverage problem - your router should not be in your basement. Just get a USB WiFi dongle for that PC - that's exactly what I did for the PC in my basement (which I haven't even powered up since switching to Mac.) :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.