Mysterious file on desktop

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
Well ... this is really strange. Last night, I shut down my MacBook Pro and it installed an update before shutting down.

This morning, after starting my Mac, I noticed a mysterious file on my desktop. The name of the file is "48BF5000". I cannot delete it. I cannot Get Info on it, to see what format it is or what application it may belong to.

As of this moment, I can't do anything with it and that's very concerning. Especially that I cannot delete it.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any idea what this file may be? Any idea how I can delete it?

Thank you!!
Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Is there an icon?

OP
W
Reaction score
Yes. There is an icon. It's hard to see what application it belongs to. There is the green at the top that makes me think it's an Excel file.

But because of it's bizarre behavior (ie. not letting me delete it, move it, etc.), I'm afraid to double-click it.

Any ideas anyone??

OP
W
Reaction score
When I try to delete the file or move to trash, I get the following message:

"The item "48BF5000" can't be moved to the Trash because it can't be deleted".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Any possibility that's an alias to a file on a removable drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
piggybacking on that, does the icon have a little curved arrow at the bottom?

OP
W
Reaction score
There's no arrow at the bottom. And, no, I don't think it's an alias from a removable drive. The only drive I've had connected recently is a flash drive and I know (and double-checked) that the file's not there.

Reaction score
I am having the same exact issue. It's definitely an Excel file, and the one on my desktop is labeled 'B323D710' I have no idea how it got there and can't do anything with it (delete it, move it or even open it) Very disconcerting. Any help would be much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.