change directory

Reaction score
Hi,

On terminal every i type in 'pwd' it displays the word dropbox before my user ID, is there anyway i can reverse this?

Any help would be appreicated

#completenovice

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just to clarify, if I execute pwd in my home directory, I get what you'd expect: /Users/vansmith. Are you saying that you get something similar to the following: /Users/dropboxvansmith?

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes I get /Users/jordanHarris/Dropbox, i attempted to link my documents with dropbox by typing in cd dropbox into terminal.

I just want to revert back to how it was before i tampered with it

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
pwd is doing what it should - you're in your Dropbox folder. If you changed into the Dropbox folder, that would become your current working directory.

I'm still unsure what you did. What do you mean by "linking" your documents with Dropbox?

OP
J
Reaction score
This is the two lines i put into terminal in order to make dropbox my default documents folder:
jordanHarris$ cd dropbox
jc-mac-pro:dropbox jordanHarris$ -s~/Documents/ Documents
-bash: -s~/Documents/: No such file or directory

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're missing part of a command there. The -s at the beginning is called a parameter or a switch. Think of it as something that augments a command. With that said, my guess is that you meant to execute the following:
Code:
ln -s ~/Documents/ Documents

Might I ask what it is that you're trying to accomplish?

OP
J
Reaction score
I saw a youtube clip of how to make Dropbox your default document folder so i could have documents on multiple devices and they would sync automatically.

That was the code that was displayed on the screen and I just copied it, pretty stupid thing to do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'd have to delete your Documents folder and then symlink it to ~/Dropbox which I'd highly recommend against doing. Although possible, note that content you don't necessarily create may be stored in ~/Documents (using myself as an example, I have MS Office and Civ4 data stored there).

Why not just save things to your Dropbox folder? Wouldn't that be much easier?

OP
J
Reaction score
That's what i've began doing, makes sense.

Just want to know whether i've done some irreparable damage or interfered with the settings that will affect the performance of the computer?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what i've began doing, makes sense.

Just want to know whether i've done some irreparable damage or interfered with the settings that will affect the performance of the computer?
The commands you entered above are as follows (quoted for ease of explanation):
jordanHarris$ cd dropbox
jc-mac-pro:dropbox jordanHarris$ -s~/Documents/ Documents
-bash: -s~/Documents/: No such file or directory
The first one (cd dropbox) simply changes the directory which is akin to opening a folder in Finder. The second command (-s~/Documents/ Documents) isn't actually a command so nothing happened.

OP
J
Reaction score
That's put my mind at rest. Many thanks for your swift assistance, I won't be trying anything like that again without proper help.

Thanks Again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.