HELP! 25,000 pix in iPhoto disappeared.

Reaction score
Hi. My 25,000 (129 GB) disappeared from my iPhoto on my iMac (OS X 10.5.8). I have found them on my hard drive, but i want them back in iPhoto. Is there a way to resore it? If so, i am stupid... so...How (for dummies)?

fyi - my iMac is almost full. I was told that my Mac does not have enough room to easily restore my iPhoto on the internal HD. I have my photos backed up on 2 different external hard drives. (now I have 3 copies).

What is the safest way to restore. AND - Should I detach 1 of the external hard drives so that there is no chance to lose photos? A REAL WORRY FOR ME.

Please help Obi Wan Knobi - you're my only hope. thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi. My 25,000 (129 GB) disappeared from my iPhoto on my iMac (OS X 10.5.8). I have found them on my hard drive, but i want them back in iPhoto. Is there a way to resore it? If so, i am stupid... so...How (for dummies)?

fyi - my iMac is almost full. I was told that my Mac does not have enough room to easily restore my iPhoto on the internal HD. I have my photos backed up on 2 different external hard drives. (now I have 3 copies).

What is the safest way to restore. AND - Should I detach 1 of the external hard drives so that there is no chance to lose photos? A REAL WORRY FOR ME.

Please help Obi Wan Knobi - you're my only hope. thanks!

Quick question, were you allowing iPhoto to manage the photos or just linking to folders that you set up (I assume the first is the case)?

When you say you have found the photos, do you mean the iPhoto Library file or copies/originals of photos in folders. If it is the iPhoto Library then there is no need to reload them into iPhoto, just double-click on the Library icon and iPhoto will launch with that Library as default.

OP
R
Reaction score
However iPhoto is generally used on a Mac...that's how mine was set up.

As far as where the photos are now, they are in ( I guess) original files with file dates.

Currently I am loading into a new iPhoto from one of my eternal hard drives. Trying to keep my mac hd from being over filled. My memory is close to capacity.

I am worried that it seemed to be taking a looooong time to upload the 38k photos. Up from the original 25k I thought.

I am also worried that basically this new iPhoto, based on my eternal drive will not save to my other external hd, which was purchased primarily as a backup.

Any help or suggestions to the tech impaired? Pleasssssse?

Thx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.