Macintosh HD in Bay 4? (Mac Pro)

Reaction score
Hello,

I just installed Lion on my Mac Pro Bay 4 drive
I'm keeping the Bay 1 drive because it has snow leopard on it and I don't want to erase it until I confirm that I like Lion.
Now if I really like Lion and erase my Bay 1 drive, should I put my Macintosh HD (Lion) to the Bay 1 drive?
I don't know if Mac had some kind of priority in speed with Bay 1 vs Bay4 so I wanted to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

If you stick with Lion sure pop it in bay one. Not that it makes much difference, but on boot the process is to commence at bay 1 and proceed from there. Wherever it is make sure you select your boot drive by going into System Preferences > Boot Disk and clicking on the system you want.

One thing if you decide to install Windows via Bootcamp, the drive must be in bay one for that.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you harry,

I will pop it into Bay 1 once I make the change.
btw, do I have to do the System Preferences > Boot Disk after I pop it into Bay 1? or do I have to do it now? (now meaning, when it's in Bay 4)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
btw, do I have to do the System Preferences > Boot Disk after I pop it into Bay 1? or do I have to do it now? (now meaning, when it's in Bay 4)

Since you're going to have two HD's in your Mac Pro with an OS installed on it (one 10.6 and the other 10.7)...and if you're occasionally going to want to boot into one or the other OS...you're going to need to learn how this is done.

Two ways to do it:

1. After booting the computer...go to "System Preferences"...then the "Startup Disk" control panel...and choose which OS to boot into.
2. Upon startup (booting the computer)...press the "Option" key...and choose which HD/OS you want to boot from.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I see,
Great tutorial Nick

Thanks alot of the help. It is very clear now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.