Old ext Keyboard to USB

Reaction score
I have an older extended keyboard I'd like to use with Imac. It's a 4-pin round PS/2 I believe, not a standard 6-pin PS/2 which I have a (green) adapter. Does anyone know where a proper adapter to USB can be found, or better yet the color wiring diagram to convert these two PS/2 format cables? I know what you recommend - use a USB keyboard. I have reasons for opting to use the older keyboard. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an older extended keyboard I'd like to use with Imac. It's a 4-pin round PS/2 I believe, not a standard 6-pin PS/2 which I have a (green) adapter. Does anyone know where a proper adapter to USB can be found, or better yet the color wiring diagram to convert these two PS/2 format cables? I know what you recommend - use a USB keyboard. I have reasons for opting to use the older keyboard. Thanks.

Is this old extended keyboard an Apple/Macintosh keyboard? If so...the plug on it is not PS/2 but Apple ADB (Apple Desktop Bus):

Apple Desktop Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it is an Apple keyboard...I have not seen an ADB to USB adapter for the keyboard. If this is a non-Apple keyboard...maybe there is an adapter. From a more practical standpoint...Apple USB keyboards from like 5-6 years ago sell for like $5.00 - $10.00 dollars on e-Bay...and if you're lucky...they can be had for free if looking in the right places.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Griffin used to have one but just coming from their site I see they don't even have Mac stuff anymore.
I have an old converter from them. Probably better keep it
You can get usb keyboards for next to nothing at Walmart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.