MacBook Pro Battery can't stay off the charge for three days without crapping out?

Reaction score
I got my MacBook Pro back in August or September, and have been more than happy with it, but about two months after I got the computer, the piece that locks the adapter into the charging port snapped off. I just popped it back in for a while, it worked fine, until recently, it stopped staying in and the LED light that showed it was charging was extremely faint, and when plugged in (which I had to tape the **** thing to the computer to get it to stay) it would say Not Charging. The battery was on 60% then, and I figured that maybe it would at least keep it at a steady 60% and not drain the battery. No such luck. The computer died completely, and then the charger completely stopped working. I called Apple and ordered a replacement, which was an ordeal on it's own. So finally, three days later, I get the replacement. It doesn't work. I know it can't be the adapter, it's brand new. So I called Apple yet again (probably the fifth time during this entire experience), and they told me the battery has died completely and needs replacing. The advisor walked me through the Shift+Control+Option+Power SMC reset with no luck, and told me that I had to take it to an Apple store to have them take another four days to fix it, then go pick it up again. Or, my second option was to get a box shipped to me, ship the computer back, have them take a week or more to look at it and fix it, then ship it back. Sounds like a pretty easy decision to make, just taking it to the Apple store is the less time consuming route to take, but the nearest Apple store is an hour and a half away.

So after all that *****ing, my question is, is there anything I can do to resolve the issue on my own? I don't have a car or reliable ride to take me up there and back a few days later, but I cannot wait three weeks or more to use my MacBook. I'm using my old Toshiba PC laptop, which has one foot in the grave, and it's the end of the semester. It's nearly impossible to do all my school work on this PC.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I got my MacBook Pro back in August or September, and have been more than happy with it, but about two months after I got the computer, the piece that locks the adapter into the charging port snapped off.

...is there anything I can do to resolve the issue on my own?

Firstly...if you truly have a MacBook Pro...there's nothing that can "snap-off" when the adapter is connected to the charging port (unless you mean the adapter cord broke where it connects to the plug). MacBook Pro's have a "magnetic" connection at the charging port...so there's really nothing to snap off.

Maybe you can post a photo or two of the problem...so it's a bit more clear exactly what happened.

Thanks,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.