Mac 10.4.11 no longer asks for password after turning off

Reaction score
My Macbook pro had hard drive failure and new one reinstalled about 1 month ago.
I have been shutting down weekly and notice that I am no longer asked for my password and don't know how to change settings so I am asked for a password as computer used to do.
I live alone but don't want to worry about another person getting into my information if computer were stolen or if I used computer at Barnes and Noble. No more warrantly so I can't ask Apple. 2007 model.
Thanks. Arlene

OP
C
Reaction score
My Macbook pro had hard drive failure and new one reinstalled about 1 month ago.
I have been shutting down weekly and notice that I am no longer asked for my password and don't know how to change settings so I am asked for a password as computer used to do.
I live alone but don't want to worry about another person getting into my information if computer were stolen or if I used computer at Barnes and Noble. No more warrantly so I can't ask Apple. 2007 model.
Thanks. Arlene
sorry, I don't even know where I should post

Reaction score
Go to top left corner and click on the apple logo. Then click on System Preferences, then go down to accounts and click on that. Then you should be able to set your password there.

Also while in system preferences, click on security, then the middle tab called FileVault, and you can set up a master password and turn on file encryption for added security.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Merged duplicate threads. Please do not crosspost the same question in more than one forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.