Stolen iMac Restore ro New iMac

Reaction score
Hello - help please...

My girlfriend's 2 year old iMac was stolen 4 weeks ago - OS was Leopard - I have time machine backups. A new iMac will arrive this week with Lion as the OS. The man in the mac shop said that a restore would copy everything back except the OS - i am not sure about this! I need to restore all applications, mail, iweb stuff, itunes library, iphoto library, documents etc but not overwrite Lion.

How do i do this please?

Thanks...

Banjaxed

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello - help please...

My girlfriend's 2 year old iMac was stolen 4 weeks ago - OS was Leopard - I have time machine backups. A new iMac will arrive this week with Lion as the OS. The man in the mac shop said that a restore would copy everything back except the OS - i am not sure about this! I need to restore all applications, mail, iweb stuff, itunes library, iphoto library, documents etc but not overwrite Lion.

How do i do this please?

Thanks...

Banjaxed

Run Migration Assistant with Time Machine backup as the source, and it will (indeed) restore everything but the OS. (Actually you can select what to restore from the menu--see link below).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

OP
B
Reaction score
thank you MoTM - if i take the mac out of the box and switch it on - assuming no accounts have been created - can i run the migration straight away so only one account appears on the mac (the one from the time machine backup)?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
thank you MoTM - if i take the mac out of the box and switch it on - assuming no accounts have been created - can i run the migration straight away so only one account appears on the mac (the one from the time machine backup)?

Yes, this is what I did when I set up my wife's MacBook Air to replace her old MacBook.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks again - will do just that when it arrives....
banjaxed
nottingham
england

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.