DNSChanger on old Mac. No luck getting rid of it so far...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I've got an old Mac and I cant seem to get rid of DNSChanger. My ISP keeps telling me I have it and I have seen it in action via Safari where it sometimes re-directs to other pages like eBay.

The OS is 10.5.6 which Im pretty sure I can't upgrade due to the age of the machine and I dont have the original disks either.

So far I have tried DNSChanger Removal Tool, ClamXav and MacScan.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how I can get rid of this trojan?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Stick with ClamXAV and get rid of MacScan and DNSCharger Removal Tool is a promotor of MacScan. Do you empty the cache of Safari and depending on your computer and Safari version, deleted history and blocked pop-up windows opening?

You need the system discs to run Repair Disk and do a clean install, if necessary. They are the most important troubleshooting tool available.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Stick with ClamXAV and get rid of MacScan and DNSCharger Removal Tool is a promotor of MacScan. Do you empty the cache of Safari and depending on your computer and Safari version, deleted history and blocked pop-up windows opening?

You need the system discs to run Repair Disk and do a clean install, if necessary. They are the most important troubleshooting tool available.

Thanks Harry.

Im not sure I fully understood what you were saying above. Do I empty the cache of Safari and delete history? I dont get any pop up windows when surfing as it redirects the window Im using. Is that what you mean?

The original disks cant be found unfortunately. What options do I have if I still can't remove this trojan?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
At one point when people were raving about the supposed OSX Virus (The DNS Changer trojan which is not a virus) I downloaded it and installed it on a Power Mac G4 500. I was able to remove it without a tool.

I will try and find what I did. It's been ages but it was in the terminal and one command and the computer was back to normal.

Here you go. REad it all, do the tests, and if it's there, read the section on how to remove. Follow the directions and it will be history.

http://www.macworld.com/article/60823/2007/10/trojanhorse.html

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I did. Re-Read the message I posted. Read that URL. Do the tests and if so do the fix. It's manual.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Thanks for that. I checked and it didn't appear to be the same virus/trojan as indicated in the article. I followed the instructions anyway to see if has any effect. I will report back either way once I know if its managed to clear it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is only one DNS changer Trojan that was ever made for OSX that I know of. Sometimes the filename was different but it's the same one. Let us know what happens.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I think this has done the trick so thanks for the help. Im pretty sure its gone as my kids use this Mac and they dont use it every day. When using it they haven't noticed any re-directs and I haven't received any warnings from my ISP either.

Cheers :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very cool and thanks for reporting back as it might help another user down the road.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.