Can I run Dual Operating System on my iMac?

Reaction score
I currently have tiger 10.4 but don't want to lose any of my software which I lost the discs to, by installing a new operating system over it.

I want to install Snow Leopard 10.6 - Can I install it as a separate operating system and switch between the two whenever I need to?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I currently have tiger 10.4 but don't want to lose any of my software which I lost the discs to, by installing a new operating system over it.

I want to install Snow Leopard 10.6 - Can I install it as a separate operating system and switch between the two whenever I need to?

You didn't tell us what model iMac you have...so it's hard to confirm that your computer can even run Snow Leopard. But assuming it can run Snow Leopard...you could always setup an external drive with Snow Leopard...or vice-versa...you could:

- remove your iMac's internal drive (with 10.4 on it)
- install it in an external HD housing
- install a new HD inside your iMac
- install Snow Leopard on the new drive

...and when you need to...boot from the 10.4 external drive.

As far as being able to have both OS 10.4 and 10.6 on your current hard drive. Don't think you can do it without "partitioning" the hard drive...and this would result in losing the apps. you have on it.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.