iPod SUPERCHARGING

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Hey guys, I have a quick question.

I'm on an iPod touch 4g iOS 5.0.1. Right after updating, I tried to do a full cycle charge. It was at 14%. I go and have breakfast, and 15 minutes later, its at 94%! And once it's done, the battery drains in one or two hours. Any reasons why?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like the battery needs to be calibrated. First, reboot it (press and hold the power button and home buttons simultaneously until it turns off). Then, charge it to 100% and use it until it goes dead. Then do a fully charge (do not turn it back on). Leave it overnight on the charger. Then you should have a more accurate battery reading.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Well, I don't think thats it. I did a full cycle charge, and it took around half an hour. after 15 minutes of use, its down to 79 percent. I'm out of warrenty I think, so no sending it back. I didn't notice this until iOS 5 :/

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you use the cold reboot procedure I mentioned above?

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If by that you mean a hard reset, then ys.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one else? This is bugging me...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
All batteries have two components, voltage and current. So when you plug the iPod into the charger, it gets a spike of voltage which ends up causing a spike into the battery capacity and the current comes along a little slower. After some time, the voltage tends to normalize and the current steadily increases. Once you read the 80-90% range, both current and voltage begin to taper off until it reaches what the battery considers to be a fully charged state.

That being the case, it is completely normal for the battery to go from 20% to 50-60% in about 20-30 mins, but not last long since the current hasn't come along for the ride.

Also realize that if you plug your iPod to the wall, the chargers are sucking anywhere from 1.5 to 2 amps of power and that can charge the battery pretty darn quickly. I can go from the 20% warning sign to a respectable 75% or more in about 20 mins and do some quick things before putting it back on charge for longer to reach full charge.

Apart from the calibration method that cwa107 suggested, you should probably only disconnect the iPod from the charger when it indicates that it's reach full charge, as indicated by the plugged in sign..

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm familiar with the speeed charge thing. The difference here is that it doesn't slow down. It takes 20 minutes to go from 10% to 100%.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well it will slow down over a few hours as the charge happens, it's not immediate. However if you are consistently getting from 10% to 100% in 20 mins and then having the iPod only last a couple of hours, then you should re-calibrate it and see if that gets any better..

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest, I've never had the battery life promised by apple, and I've owned 3 iPod touches. The only time was when I was on 4.3.3 jailbroken, with the tweak that turns off wifi until its accessed. I've heard people complaining about theirs not lasting three or four days. The best I've gotten ever was around 1 1/2 days (with the jailbreak tweak). I started typing this at 100% charged, and it's now at about 90%.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it jailbroken?

My 2G iPod Touch when new would usually run for 3-4 days. My iPhone 4 will get about 2 days under moderate usage. But both are completely stock - and I'm conscious about curtailing the number of apps that can use notifications and not allowing location services. These things can eat into the battery big time, as can the Mail client being set to poll the server at regular intervals.

Also, any games that run 3D acceleration are going to cut into runtime severely.

I wonder if you're just really using a lot of battery intensive stuff, not realizing how it effects runtime.

Reaction score
Apple says if you jail brake the device, Your warrenty goes because
Jail breaking for Ipod's is not as safe...Well to be honest doing jail brake is not
doing any good to it either.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple says if you jail brake the device, Your warrenty goes because
Jail breaking for Ipod's is not as safe...Well to be honest doing jail brake is not
doing any good to it either.

Tsk. Tsk.

FYI, Jailbreaking is perfectly safe.

Secondly, at the time of question, the device was not jailbroken, but It is now, and due to two applications, PrivaCy and DePersistWiFi, my battery is lasting longer. Jailbreaking seems scary until you either A.) do some [a lot] of research on it, B.) actually do it. I don't want to judge, but your spelling is a little... Well, not top shape. Given the benefit of the doubt, you might not be a 10 year old, and just not speak English as your first language. I'm not trying to be mean, but it bugs me when people hate JB'ing without knowing anything about it.

C

chas_m

Sorry, but you're simply wrong here. Jailbreaking is NOT "perfectly safe." It is, at best, "mostly harmless."

For starters, being able to download unauthorized apps means you COULD download a malicious app. That there haven't been many (any that I know of) is a wonderful thing, but you ARE IN FACT overriding the security of the App Store when you jailbreak. Indisputable fact.

Second, you void the warranty if something goes wrong. Yes, you can undo a jailbreak -- if the phone is working well enough to do that -- but what if it isn't?

Third, the procedure can brick your iPhone if incorrectly followed. Jailbreaking by its nature is messing around with some very low-level system stuff. There's always risk there.

There's some advantages in some situations to jailbreaking. I had to do it to my old iPhone in order to unlock it (AT&T refused to do so, and I was moving to Canada and had finished my contract, so nuts to them). I also took advantage of the jailbreak to install a couple of unofficial apps that had good reputations and did what they advertised (one of them added A2DP support to the original iPhone, a godsend to those of us who needed this for wireless headphone use).

So I'm not saying jailbreaking is evil or anything, I'm just saying that calling it "perfectly safe" is inaccurate, and kind of like saying taking LSD is perfectly safe.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not 100% true.

I have been Jailbreaking for a loong time, and not once have I run into any problems. This "bricking" argument is really getting on my nerves. I have messed up numerous times in the Jailbreaking process , even shutting my computer down in the middle of it, and there wasn't a problem. I don't know when or how you Jailbroke, but it takes five minutes, is EASY to do, and has a .1% chance of anything going wrong, supposing your not dumb. As for the warranty thing, my warranty is out, so I don't have to worry about that, but if I did, the only way an iDevice would not be able to be restored is if it's physical damage. If that is the case, they won't check for your jailbroken state. I sen't my iPod Touch in because the headphone jack didn't work, and it was jailbroken. They fixed it on my warranty and didn't say hoot about it being jailbroken. If its software related, you need only boot into recovery mode. as for malicious packages, I have installed 100's of them, and have never encountered a problem. I download from official sources, and research each tweak extensivly before I download it. If It caused any kind of problem, I could A, uninstall it, B, if A doesn't work, do it from safe mode, C, if neither A nor B work, plug it into my computer and delete the dylib files. Easy! And the LSD is a bad analogy. If you take LSD, there is a 100% guarantee that you will have negative effects. you can't get around them by being "careful". A better analogy would be a Mac thats limited only to the Mac App store. Sure, there are great things on there, but you can't download anything else. Why? Surely all you have to do is be careful about what you download and where you download it from? Nope, its very dangerous!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.