New 15" PB any brighter?

Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to know if the new 15 inch powerbooks are brighter then the previous 17/15 inch models? I know that it has a higher resolution but it doesnt say anywhere if it is brighter or not. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Yes they are 46% brighter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
yeah they sure look quite a bit brighter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
No idea.. I have not seen that screen

M

menace3054

that was one thing that i totally wasnt anticipating.. i got my 15" pb a month ago, which i love more than anything. and i told myself i really wouldnt care about a bigger vid card b/c i dont have time for games, i dont really care about ddr2 because i dont do too many memory intensive things, and i didnt care if the processor jumped a few mhz, even though it didnt. if i knew it was getting a better screen?! ahh, oh well, i totally love my powerbook, this is by far my absolute favortie compter that i have ever owned. the only down side is the battery life kinda sucks compared to my old 12", but oh well, i just carry the ac adapter.

F

FWIWPROD

I am going to be purchasing a Powerbook within the next few days. How can I be sure that the one I get is the newer version with the better screen? Also, what are some good accessories to get?

OP
ldjalal
Reaction score
FWIWPROD said:
I am going to be purchasing a Powerbook within the next few days. How can I be sure that the one I get is the newer version with the better screen? Also, what are some good accessories to get?

Make sure there is DDR2 ram and that you can get the 7200Rpm HD. Also you can look at the monitor resolution. If youre going to be working with photoshop or similar software get a PC mouse, get airport, and some nice soundsticks.

S

sursuciofla

To be honest I don't think one Mac is any brighter than another Mac. I think they all have their individuality and are great in different areas. That makes them bright in their own respect. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SR MBP 2.4Ghz 2GB RAM running a 30" ADC
The new Powerbook HD screens are definitely brighter than the old Powerbooks.

(Currently, I have my old Powerbook 800FW next to my new Powerbook HD, which is also next to my Dell 2005fpw - you can see a noticeable brightness differential between the old Powerbook and the new Powerbook, but the difference between the new Powerbook and the Dell LCD is very slight)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I don't think they're HD. And also, Apple makes no claims about the 15", only the 17.

Reaction score
FWIWPROD said:

If you're looking at the newer PB with the brighter screen, you'll have to turn the brightness down. The new screens are nice; you'll like them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
the question is... why would you want a brighter screen?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Better visibility and picture. Less eye strain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
i disagree. it's bright enough, for me anyway.
and good enough for my work.

M

motherduce

I have a brand new 15", and while it's my first mac since 1991, I can say it's brighter than the previous models.

However, there is the issue of the horizontal lines, that is well documented here and here. It's not bad for basic use of the pb, but when I get into graphics/flash editing, it becomes a nuisance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.