Best Case for IPAD 2 for Mobility Impaired?

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a relative who uses a walker and has extremely limited mobility - needs help getting up, sitting, etc.

I have been trying to figure out the best case out there for him. My biggest concern is that he will drop it (he can have trouble grasping objects) - that it gets knocked off a table, etc.. I have read that the Otterbox for IPad 2 is not a good product (unlike the one for iPad 1).

My Googling has so far found me this podfob for iPad For the moment, it seems like a neck strap may be the best option.

Just wondering if anyone else has any options they would mind sharing.

Thanks everyone!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My wife and I do quite a bit of volunteer work at nursing homes, and I have seen folks there who exhibit the same limitations that your relative has. The best thing would be a neck strap, however, that can be bulky for him with an iPad. Consider also that if he uses a walker that he's likely bent over somewhat while using it. But I don't believe you'll find a case or any kind of cover that will give adequate protection for the iPad in the event it's dropped.

Also, take into consideration if his hands are mobile enough to even use an iPad. For example: Do his hands shake? Can he grip a pen to write with?

Perhaps an iPhone 4S with SIRI would be a better choice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
This product is being advertised on this very Forum.

It comes with a hand strap and a desk mount by the looks of it, may be worth looking into perhaps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I'm not sure if this would help, but griffin created he AirStrap (Review: Griffin AirStrap Case For iPad) - I'm pretty sure they made it for the iPad 2 as well. The thick rubber is easier to grip but it also has a hand strap on the back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you so much for the replies - we have not moved on buying a case yet, but will be in the next week or so - I'll keep folks posted.

Again, really appreciate the help. Take care,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Some great and compassionate responses. I have a co-worker whose wife has severe arthritis and after hearing me and other office mates rave about our new iPad's he would like to get one for his wife so she's connected to the outside world when he's at work or out of the house.

To make sure an iPad is actually the right device I'm stopping by their house over the holidays with my iPad (housed in my new Saddleback leather case) to see if she can use/handle it.

Again thanks for the advice and leads on these accessories.

Tom
USAF Retired

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.