keyboard shortcut to switch on mirroring

Reaction score
Hello there,
The LCD screen of my well used and much loved old macbookpro just died on me. I can plug in another screen I have, but I need to find a way to switch on mirroring, so that the new screen will display my desktop long enough for me to back up everything with the time machine (switched off) so that I can switch to a new computer without losing any data.
Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No keyboard shortcut but if you close the cover on the MBP and have an external keyboard and mouse, the monitor should go into either mirror or extended desktop mode.

If you have an older MBP, you may be able to switch to the external monitor by using the F5 or F6 keys. Try those first.

OP
F
Reaction score
no joy

Well hitting f5 made my screen appear on the video projector, however all that was displayed was the same thing as the screen which looks like some kind of abstract expressionist painting in blue and grey and black, some diagonals and horizontals, some large blocks of pixels, but nothing I can use to turn on time machine and back up my system to switch over to a newer machine. I guess I'll have to take it to a mac store. The nearest real one to me is in Shanghai, and I guess I'll be going there sometime in the next month. Unless there is another way I can dump my hard drive onto some other external device. thx for your help anyway :)

OP
F
Reaction score
So I'm off to the Mac store to see if I can back up my old hard drive before switching over to a 2009 mbp with track pad, will I have any compatibility issues if I load my the snow leopard and all my apps and data from the old one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.