• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

vintage musical instruments

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Haha yeah, Im a guitarist, not a drummer. Though the new place ive moved into recently has a nice electric Alesis kit that I can learn on, and I am getting on quite nicely with it now (luckily, the owner is also left handed so its beein set up properly! :p )

Unfortunately I havent got any vintage stuff :( though my university did have some nice old Marshall valve amps i wishI had got a pic of.

Then why haven't you posted in the guitar thread yet? :Angry-Tongue:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Rob, were they the old Plexi Marshalls? Plexi as in Plexiglass? When those work they are great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok, as promised, the only picture I have of my original Pearl kit, not a great pic sadly. I was 15 or so here (hence the typical picture on the wall), and don't knock the "fashion" it was the 70's.
Anyway, sizes were 12, 14, 16 toms, 24 kick. The cymbals were cheapo Olympics and Hama's. I had a Premier 252 pedal though, my pride and joy it was, saved for ages for it.
The kit was second hand, but I remember it cost £400 at the time with no hardware, which is an awful lot cosidering what £400 will buy you now. I do also remember that they were a 7 ply shell, but can't remember what wood. Nice steel Snare too (a 5.5").
I wish I'd kept it, but I gave up playing for 27 years.

Kevdrums.jpg

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
ha, that's awesome, the boob, the threads, and the old pearl kit.

I think that looks just like the pearl kit we had in highschool. Forst school I went to had a black oyster pearl set of capri's.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Rob, were they the old Plexi Marshalls? Plexi as in Plexiglass? When those work they are great!

aha i dont remember what it was exactly, i dont think it was that old. I think it was a hybrid amp. Sounded awesome though :)

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOVE plexis. First time I heard one, didn't know what it was (such a drummer), in the white the guy had one, and I was blown away how after 2 hours of the set, his amp suddenly sounded like 3. I thought he turned it way up or biamped or something.

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
maybe this one should go in the music forum?

Reaction score
i have a vintage fender bandmaster amp in my basement, but it needs some $400 repair work done, so it has to wait a little longer till it can blast some nice sounds again :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i have a vintage fender bandmaster amp in my basement, but it needs some $400 repair work done, so it has to wait a little longer till it can blast some nice sounds again :)

What all is wrong with the Bandmaster? $400 sounds like a lot, but I know good tubes are quite expensive these days. I used to repair Fender and Marshall amps for a living and still fix the occasional Fender amp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.