• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

vintage musical instruments

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Ok, by request, (and my desire to post a couple, and see what piles of beauties may have)

First, yes I'm the worlds worst, photographer. Generally I have to rely on someone else taking a shot.

first, a slightly fuzzyish photo, of a mint 1971 white marine pearl ludwig kit. They have the ink date stamps still on the inside shell. I've dragged these across canada on tour 7 times, and circled the US a few times as well. This pic is in Chemical sound studio, set up to record a record.

I don't have a great pic or maybe I need to look, I also have a 1948 white marine pearl WFL (william F ludwig) 26" I restored that used nickel lugs before they used chrome. It came with the original calf skin heads, I've used it for 2 tours and is probably the best sounding bass drum I have ever heard.

Attachments

• ludwigs1.jpg
    ludwigs1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 44

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Very nice!

I expect Kevin and Rob to comment on these. :)

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found one shot of the '48 26" wfl, I took it at a sound check.

and one of me on the kit using them at the same venue. We had Rival Son's sound guy and the bass drum apparently made people's eyeball's shake :Cool:

soundacademyhelixshow.jpg

rock1.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
over run with drummers? That's fantastic. I never seem to find many on a mac forum.
I ate slept and dreamed drums for a living for 25 years before slowing down to work on a mac to stop from having to be in a van or some tour vehicle 500 days a year.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Too bad people aren't posting in the Guitar thread still...I'd like to see more cool guitar gear. Drums...pretty much all look the same...to me. ;P But...having a good drummer... definitely key.

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gasp, all the same?

nooo! :) I spend hours, tweaking every drum. When I crack a cymbal, I'm not the same for weeks.

I'm a huge fan of guitars. The guy on the left has probably the largest collection I know of, I think he has at least 60 in his studio. I love going down there and finding some oddball one and seeing what it sounds like.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
gasp, all the same?

nooo! :) I spend hours, tweaking every drum. When I crack a cymbal, I'm not the same for weeks.

I'm a huge fan of guitars. The guy on the left has probably the largest collection I know of, I think he has at least 60 in his studio. I love going down there and finding some oddball one and seeing what it sounds like.

Hehe, sorry. Do you really spend that much time tuning your drums?

Take some pics of that guy's guitars and post 'em in the guitar thread here...would love to see some of his gear. I think guitars are works of art - I could easily see some on my wall just as art, which given how little I use mine - is probably what I should do with them. :)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/music-audio-podcasting/258239-unofficial-mac-forums-guitar-thread.html#post1330712

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no worries :)

truthfully, I'm insane about the sound of my drums. Its why I don't have newer ones. I've played many shows with supplied drums, and sometimes it was just painful to play some of those cardboard box contraptions. There is nothing, like a beautiful set of vintage beauties with everything cranked right up to really sing.

I don't get to my friends place that often, not sure how he feels about picture taking but next time I'm there I'll ask.Both those guys play with a few major artists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Drums...pretty much all look the same...to me. ;P

HEATHEN!!!!!!

That's a beautiful Ludwig there my friend. I love Ludwig kits, it was always my desire to own a Black Beauty snare (one of the older ones and an unfulfilled desire).
Rob isn't a drummer BTW, but I am, but not in a band, just for pleasure (when given time to play - not often recently)
I hope to change that next year.
What style of music do you play?
Oh, and Rival Sons have an awesome drum sound. I saw them earlier in the year. Very Bonham of course.

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HEATHEN!!!!!!

That's a beautiful Ludwig there my friend. I love Ludwig kits, it was always my desire to own a Black Beauty snare (one of the older ones and an unfulfilled desire).
Rob isn't a drummer BTW, but I am, but not in a band, just for pleasure (when given time to play - not often recently)
I hope to change that next year.
What style of music do you play?
Oh, and Rival Sons have an awesome drum sound. I saw them earlier in the year. Very Bonham of course.

hey good to meet you. Black beauties are incredible snares. I've used them plenty, though sadly never owned one. I will change that soon, as the 2 on my list to get in the new year is that, and a 5 1/2 supraphonic. I have the 402 bonham model, which I use a lot. I used to play for a zep tribute called the white years ago and developed a true love for ludwigs tuned up high.

I opened for the rival sons last year in a really small club here, their drummer let me use his kit so I felt pretty at home on that 26 let me tell you. Super nice guy and awesome player.

I'm mainly a rock and roll drummer. Though I can play a lot of cool things, I'm mainly known for my time, feel, and being that guy who can make song happen.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to agree with Brian. As much as I hate to admit it . . . ..?

No, don't throw things at me. ;D

Reaction score
I have a 1964 fender strat in surf green that is in like new condition....she's a keeper for sure! sweet drums aat the beginning! the original owner swapped out to texas special pickups for some unknown reason so im getting a set of custom shop 62s for her.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Haha yeah, Im a guitarist, not a drummer. Though the new place ive moved into recently has a nice electric Alesis kit that I can learn on, and I am getting on quite nicely with it now (luckily, the owner is also left handed so its beein set up properly! :p )

Unfortunately I havent got any vintage stuff :( though my university did have some nice old Marshall valve amps i wishI had got a pic of.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha yeah, Im a guitarist, not a drummer. Though the new place ive moved into recently has a nice electric Alesis kit that I can learn on, and I am getting on quite nicely with it now (luckily, the owner is also left handed so its beein set up properly! :p )

Unfortunately I havent got any vintage stuff :( though my university did have some nice old Marshall valve amps i wishI had got a pic of.

My bad . . . I'll leave to you to decide whether I insulted you, or them . . . or both. ;)

Don't know why I had it my head that you were a drummer too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Though the new place ive moved into recently has a nice electric Alesis kit that I can learn on, and I am getting on quite nicely with it now (luckily, the owner is also left handed so its beein set up properly! :p )

You mean it's been set up back to front :D
Good that your playing though, those kits aren't bad.
@Groovetube. Cool that you got to play on the RS kit, and nice to hear you were in a well recieved band too, not easy to gte much recognition these days.
Oh btw, I don't own any vintage stuff either. I do have a picture of me with my original kit that I learned on though. An old 1970's Pearl. I will dig it out later.

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean it's been set up back to front :D
Good that your playing though, those kits aren't bad.
@Groovetube. Cool that you got to play on the RS kit, and nice to hear you were in a well recieved band too, not easy to gte much recognition these days.
Oh btw, I don't own any vintage stuff either. I do have a picture of me with my original kit that I learned on though. An old 1970's Pearl. I will dig it out later.

Hey, cool. I used a 1970s pearl kit that I just loved for rehearsals a couple yeas ago, a real gem, blue sparkle, 24 14 18! The sizes were awesome, and offered to buy the kit. He wouldn't sell, and I was willing to pay a good price, they were maple shells too. I wish I owned that kit.

I've been pretty lucky in music, I spent many years living on the road, I was in a band that did well stateside in the mid 90s, and was a for hire guy for a long time after, and got a chance to play with some bands I was a fan of years ago. Now I run a web development/design shop here in Toronto, but still go out and make records and do some touring, just not all year, that's a young man's game... :)

I love vintage kits more than anything, a while ago I borrowed a kit from a guy in another band I knew for a record, (he was nice enough to let me!) a gold sparkle 1965 ludwig gold badge. I have a shot of me doing a track on them somewhere. It's in the category, of 'I wish I owned these'....

The kit that got away, I missed out on a few years back, was a green sparkle set of leedys, 24 14 16 18. drat. they were 800 bucks too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.