Time Capsule question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Hello helpful Mac maniacs!

Can I use the time capsule as an external hard drive as well?

I am trying to save some photos to the TC and it does not appear on my save as menu.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello helpful Mac maniacs!

Can I use the time capsule as an external hard drive as well?

I am trying to save some photos to the TC and it does not appear on my save as menu.

The answer is yes you can.

It has been a very long time since I have done it, and then I just dragged and dropped. I think you have to actually click on the drive in the device panel to access this way.
Again, I'm not absolutely sure because I no longer use mine for anything other than a wireless router.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I will try a few different ways. I do not think it is showing when I click save as but perhaps I am not clicking the right area

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try double clicking on the device icon in your left side finder panel, and then use Finder to browse the device. You should be able at that point to right click and create folders and/or drag and drop files to it.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I think I got it thanks. I had to expand the save to box and a large window opened and it let me make a folder to my Time capsule. That was 1/3rd of the reason for buying it so I am glad I am able to use it as a external hard drive.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:

It works awesome as an external drive. Thanks again. You guys here really are patient when helping Us old PC newbees :)
I recommend the Time Capsule to anyone thinking of buying one. It is worth the money!!

Reaction score
So I want to ask a question in this thread as well....I've had the Time Machine reformat my external and start using it as the back up (and it's still transferring files..) so I can then just continue to get my files from the external and work with them correct?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I want to ask a question in this thread as well....I've had the Time Machine reformat my external and start using it as the back up (and it's still transferring files..) so I can then just continue to get my files from the external and work with them correct?

Not exactly sure of your question, but:

a) The first backup with Time Machine can take a VERY long time. After that, backups are incremental and usually fairly quick.
b) I would not attempt to use the drive while it is backing up
c) Honestly, I would not use a drive that I used Time Machine on for anything else other than Time Machine without partitioning it. Backups can take a lot more space than you think, especially if you want to have the ability to go back a month or more to retrieve missing files
d) HDD space is still cheap (even given the recent surge due to problems in Asia). If you want a place to store working files get another drive IMO

Reaction score
Ok so really just keep my working files on my Mac...and let the Time machine just back those up daily. So when files (like photos) show up via the cloud...and then go to the Mac..then the time machine will store copies of those correct?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so really just keep my working files on my Mac...and let the Time machine just back those up daily. So when files (like photos) show up via the cloud...and then go to the Mac..then the time machine will store copies of those correct?

Depending on how you have it set up (you can exclude folders from backup) Time Machine will back up everything on your Mac even if it comes from the cloud.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
razormac I am such a newbie that I don't think I even set up my time machine yet. For a month old Mac how long do you think it will take to backup. I have just a couple files and photos on it now.

Also will it hurt using it as an external HD? I don't think I will ever need 1 TB let alone two so I was hoping to get the most out of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You can not partition a TC (without physically disassembling the drive, partitioning the internal drive inside, and then reassembling). However, assuming the TC drive is substantially larger than the OS you are backing up to it, you can freely read and write to the same partition as the TM backup resides in. I've been doing so daily for over 3 years now. Just don't let the drive get completely filled up.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
razormac I am such a newbie that I don't think I even set up my time machine yet. For a month old Mac how long do you think it will take to backup. I have just a couple files and photos on it now.

Also will it hurt using it as an external HD? I don't think I will ever need 1 TB let alone two so I was hoping to get the most out of it.

The first backup, if you have anyway to do so is best done with a direct connection to the Time Capsule--ethernet cable simply because of speed. From my experience this can take (depending on what you have on your drive) from several hours to more than a day.

If you are only backing up the one Mac, 1 TB probably would suffice and give you extra space for storage for some time. I have 500 GB Time Capsule and my wife and I filled it in about 3 months.

Filling the drive on your Time Capsule means that older backups will be overwritten. If this isn't an issue with you then not a problem.

Honestly, again, you have a desktop Mac (iMac if I remember correctly). In that situation I would (and do) use small and cheap portable USB HDs for my Time Machine Backup. I use two drives and keep one in a safe deposit box so if the unthinkable occurs I won't lose a lifetime of photos and other important files.
Drives like this are small, unobtrusive and can be left plugged in.

This is just my personal opinion and preference. I would use the Time Capsule for network storage and keep my backups on another drive, but that's just me. Certainly no problem with using it the way you intended to.

Reaction score
Ok - yes that is what I did...it is WDMyBook 1.5TB so should be fine. Thank you for all your help!

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just completed my first backup.
It took around 35 mins. I had a whopping total of around 14 gigs to backup.

When I clicked the time machine icon it originally gave me an error.
Time Machine Error -6584.

I then clicked the Apple icon then system preferences and then the time machine came up there and I completed my backup.

Last night I was going to do the backup then cancelled it so I wonder if that had anything to do with the error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.