Upgrade or move on?

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 with dual core 2.66ghz processor, I have 7 gb of ram.

I mostly do photoshop work typically with files under 100mb and rarely a few that might hit 300 or 400 mb with all the layers. I also do a lot of work with lightroom.

From what I have read this is the turtle of the macpros and is just plain old. I don't want to but a new macpro because I am waiting to see if there are new models coming out. I was originally going to upgrade ram to 14gb and graphics card to a tune of about $500.

Is htere any cost effective way to speed this computer up for what I do? Or am I better off buying another computer.

I have seen 27 inch Imacs with the i7 processor used for about $1400. From what I have seen it is well over 2x as fast as what I have now. Ram and a graphics card will run me almost $500. Seems like it might be better to aply it to something like this. Does this make more sense.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 with dual core 2.66ghz processor, I have 7 gb of ram.

I mostly do photoshop work typically with files under 100mb and rarely a few that might hit 300 or 400 mb with all the layers. I also do a lot of work with lightroom.

From what I have read this is the turtle of the macpros and is just plain old. I don't want to but a new macpro because I am waiting to see if there are new models coming out. I was originally going to upgrade ram to 14gb and graphics card to a tune of about $500.

Is htere any cost effective way to speed this computer up for what I do? Or am I better off buying another computer.

I have seen 27 inch Imacs with the i7 processor used for about $1400. From what I have seen it is well over 2x as fast as what I have now. Ram and a graphics card will run me almost $500. Seems like it might be better to aply it to something like this. Does this make more sense.

There have been a number of recent threads on upgrading the 2006 Mac Pro. Suggest you try the search feature in the toolbar.
I will try to find and post back some links to this thread. May take me a bit.

EDIT: Here is one
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...o-what-can-i-upgrade-question-2006-1-1-a.html

EDIT2: And here is another
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/259512-used-mac-pro-new-imac.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.