Annoying Sizing Issue

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Its only a little thing but getting to be quite annoying. whenever i open a window to browse in finder or to locate something in safari. Under my fav on left i have a Long file name as u can see in the picture i resize it all the time to make it smaller but automatically goes back.. can any tell me a way to keep it to the same size instead of showing the whole text?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2011-12-12 at 23.16.59.png

Reaction score
That fav is only a link/shortcut. I'd just rename the shortcut to "Lois and Clark". Right now Finder is resizing to make the longest name readable. Shortening that should fix your issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
When you resize the panes, I bet it shows "Lois and Clark..."
The rest of it is still there, of course, and that's why it reverts to the wide Favorites bar.

OP
M
Reaction score
When you resize the panes, I bet it shows "Lois and Clark..."
The rest of it is still there, of course, and that's why it reverts to the wide Favorites bar.

It does show that.. I'm really confused at the last bit thgh?

I know I could rename and wld be a easier thing probably but it's a bit of a let down it won't remember sizes..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does remember the correct size needed to display the longest filename. You just want it to remember a different size. Mind reading technology isn't here yet.

OP
M
Reaction score
Who said mind reading? When I resize it close the window and reopen it does the same thing..never whn set before... Just surprised it won't remember it when my old pc does :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your old PC remembers the size the way you want it to. That's because the programmers decided to do it that way. Can you make it remember the size the way your Mac does? I doubt it.

The point is that the programmers had to pick one. You like the Windows way because that's what you're used to. OS X programmers picked a different way. Neither OS has the ability to read your mind and know which way you want it to remember the window sizes. Both are "one size fits all".

Since the Mac does it a different way, and you can't change it, there is only one option if you stay with Apple: adapt.

Well, there's another option: shorten the file names. I always try to keep file names as short as possible, whether at home on OS X or at work on Windows. If a shorter name is enough to tell you what the file is, what's the point of a longer one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.