2006 iMac blinking question mark! Help Please!

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, :)

I am new to these forums, so I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong spot.

I ran some much needed updates on an iMac running 10.6.2, did the OS updates to 10.6.8 as well as others. After rebooting for updates I received the dreaded question mark in a folder of death blinking on my screen. I have literally tried everything. I have removed the hard drive and ran disk utility, both verify and permissions repair. Everything checks out OK and I have done that a few times. I have tried a trend micro antivirus scan on the hard drive. I have ran disk warrior, doing a directories repair, files and folders repair. I have tried holding down option and booting from the drive, I have tried booting in safe mode. I have tried resetting the PRAM. I have completely blown out all the dust and checked all connections. Does anyone have any suggestions? When I attach the HD to another computer, I can see all the files and folders. Is there anything I can add or remove? I am starting to think its not the hard drive.

Please help! :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have literally tried everything.

That's not true, of course. Otherwise, why would you be asking for help? ;)

Anyway, it sounds like the OS updates, or one of them anyway, did not install properly. Have you tried reinstalling 10.6.8 using the Combo Updater download? Oh, wait... silly me! :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Did you try reinstalling Snow Leopard from your retail copy of the disk? You do have the disk don't you?

Put the disk in the drive and boot from there and see if you can reinstall. And you do have a backup don't you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.