How do I scan larger than image already is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I want to make my scanned photos larger than they are so I can print them out larger. I used to be able to do this. Now it's not working. I am using the Mac OSX Image Capture. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

C

chas_m

You want to scan the photos at a higher RESOLUTION in order to safely enlarge them.

First, find out what the maximum OPTICAL resolution of your scanner is, then scan the photos to TIFF format at that resolution. This will be slow, and the files will be large. But this is what needs to be done to make enlargements.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
You want to scan the photos at a higher RESOLUTION in order to safely enlarge them.

First, find out what the maximum OPTICAL resolution of your scanner is, then scan the photos to TIFF format at that resolution. This will be slow, and the files will be large. But this is what needs to be done to make enlargements.

Thank you! But when I bring my TIFF file to a print out place they told me they would need them as a JPEG. I guess I can just save it as a JPEG and keep it the same resolution but don't export it to jpeg because that would force me to reduce the size of the image.... just SAVE it as a jpeg. Right? :D

Reaction score
You can save a tiff as a jpg and be ok. Just make sure you don't change the resolution. Make sure you Save As, because opening and closing a jpg compresses it by removing "extraneous" pixels (thus a loss of quality in the image). Save it one time from your original and take that in. Not much of a print place if they can't open a .tiff file.

Also don't enlarge images you've already scanned. Lie MacLover2011 said, you need to scan it with a higher resolution so you can increase the size. You want your size/dpi to remain proportional. if you have a 4x6 image scanned in at 600dpi, you can double its size in your image software and still have it be high res (300dpi).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.