Apple Mac Mini Desktop - MA205LL/A

Reaction score
new to me.
i got a friend who is shipping me a Apple Mac Mini Desktop - MA205LL/A
that he says works but he erase the hard drive and doesn't have org. discs for it. He said he was running os 10.4. My question is what do i need to buy has far has a os to install on machine. And is there any kind of instructions on how to go about installing the os on a mac. I'm not a mac person it will be my first. I know pc and install os on them but lose on mac.
thanks
allen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
You will need a specific model disc to install on the Mac Mini. The Mac Mini that a friend sold to me , gave me the original Mac OS 9 Installation Disc which was a grey disc but was specific for my Mac Mini G4 PowerPC. You need to find out if he was running Mac OS 9 before he updated to 10.4?

I'm sorry I could be wrong here. Unless you can tell me what your Mac Mini is?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
new to me.
i got a friend who is shipping me a Apple Mac Mini Desktop - MA205LL/A
that he says works but he erase the hard drive and doesn't have org. discs for it. He said he was running os 10.4. My question is what do i need to buy has far has a os to install on machine. And is there any kind of instructions on how to go about installing the os on a mac. I'm not a mac person it will be my first. I know pc and install os on them but lose on mac.
thanks
allen

This is what you need, $29 direct from Apple, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

EDIT: Here are the installation instructions (you will have a hard copy in the box with your OS Disk)
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Snow_Leopard_Installation_Instructions.pdf

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks razormac. will order os today from apple.
Now some more questions.
keyboard and mouse will have to be a apple product correct. i cann't use a keyboard and mouse from a pc correct. Also will i need that dvi to vga adapter to connect my monitor to it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
thanks razormac. will order os today from apple.
Now some more questions.
keyboard and mouse will have to be a apple product correct. i cann't use a keyboard and mouse from a pc correct. Also will i need that dvi to vga adapter to connect my monitor to it.

You can use basically any USB or Wireless (may need a Dongle for some) Keyboard or Mouse. Obviously, with a PC Keyboard you won't have the Mac specific keys.

In my opinion it is hard to beat the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic TrackPad combination, but it is a bit pricey.
I started with (I believe Logitech Mac Keyboard) and switched early this year and I am sorry I waited, but preferences vary.

As far as Video, I have a newer Mini and haven't used an older one, but yes, I believe you will need an adapter to go from DVI to VGA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.